Michigan “The Voice” finalist Laith Al-Saadi sentenced on drug charge.

KLAW Blog

Monday, February 4th 2019

OTSEGO COUNTY, Mich., A Michigan musician who was a finalist on “The Voice” has been sentenced to 1 year probation.

Laith Al-Saadi plead no contest to one count of possession of a controlled substance.

Two other drug charges were dropped with the plea deal

The charges came from a traffic stop in February 2017 when Al-Saadi was pulled over by Michigan State Police for an expired license plate.

According to the trooper, there was a strong smell of marijuana coming from the vehicle.

The prosecutor said the troopers then searched the vehicle and found a backpack that contained marijuana, as well as other drugs including hydrocodone.

“I fully recognize that it was stupid, and I have attempted to use this to better my life in the best way possible,” said Laith Al-Saadi at sentencing.

Honorable George J. Mertz of the 46th Circuit Court said he took multiple things into consideration during sentencing, including the fact that Al-Saadi is 41 years old and does not have a criminal record.

“My point is that I don’t think that you are using these things recreationally, and that makes a difference to me in sentencing,” said Judge Mertz. “You do have a very successful career and from what I’ve read you’ve used that in ways to help the community which I think is important, and I think it’s important you continue to be able to do that.”

Although the case has had an impact on Al-Saadi’s career, his attorney says they are satisfied with the sentencing.

“This a situation where he [Al-Saadi] had a previous prescription for the narcotic that he was found with, and it had lapsed, as that sometimes happens,” said Attorney Michael Komorn. “Also, I think it’s important that the court recognized that he is under a doctor’s care, and most remarkable I think is that the court agreed with us that he does not have a controlled substance problem.”

Charged with a DUI or Drugged Driving?
Contact Komorn Law… 
800-656-3557

While on probation Al-Saadi will be allowed to travel in and out of the state, as well as the country, if it is for work purposes.

LAITH AL-SAADI

His next performance in northern Michigan is a charity concert to support mental health will be held at the Traverse City Opera House on February 15th at 7:30 p.m. ‘Cure for the Winter Blues

Visit Laith Al-Saadi website For more information

“the best show of musicianship I’ve ever seen on The Voice.”

— Adam Levine

https://laithalsaadi.com/

The post Michigan “The Voice” finalist Laith Al-Saadi sentenced on drug charge. appeared first on Komorn Law.

View the full article