I’m back!!!

8 minutes ago, Kingdiamond said:

Maybe there have been upgrades since I last saw a comparison the LED  buds I saw were light and airy with zero density are you saying that the LED  lamps produce as much weight as well  because I cant imagine any led panel matching the footprint of a 1000 watt HPS  lamp.

I had to see it for myself too. They are so dam bright you see in funny colors for a few minutes if you don't use glasses in the room. The PAR meter shows the footprint and it don't lie. The results from the grow match what the PAR meter said. 

2 hours ago, blackhorse said:

I use 600 watt lights and have been thinking about adding a 1200 watt led between the two reflectors.

Pricing seems to be under $150 for these led's.

Costs me $50 a month for each light at this time.

Any thoughts on this idea?

Possible changing over to led later on.

I recommend this Yehsence 1500 LED on Amazon;

https://www.amazon.com/Yehsence-Triple-Chips-Professional-Greenhouse-Hydroponic/dp/B07FN3X6H7/ref=sr_1_fkmrnull_1?keywords=yehsence+1500+led&qid=1553275671&s=gateway&sr=8-1-fkmrnull

So I can add one of these lights to the flower room and should get more yield? 

Maybe change over to LED later on and do away with the 600 watt lights.

Using a 5 x 10 tent in grow room at this time with two 600 watt lights. Thought is to add the 1500 led in center of the two 600 lights.

Good or bad idea?

3 minutes ago, blackhorse said:

So I can add one of these lights to the flower room and should get more yield? 

Maybe change over to LED later on and do away with the 600 watt lights.

Using a 5 x 10 tent in grow room at this time with two 600 watt lights. Thought is to add the 1500 led in center of the two 600 lights.

Good or bad idea?

Great idea. Eventually have 3 1500 LEDs in that space. I have 3 over my 4 x 8 aero grow. 

There are a couple of really good articles on the state of lighting in the cannabis space.   This one in particular seems to be a very well designed experiment on how much lighting can a plant really use.....

http://magazine.cannabisbusinesstimes.com/article/november-2018/how-to-design-and-run-a-controlled-experiment.aspx

44 minutes ago, semicaregiver said:

There are a couple of really good articles on the state of lighting in the cannabis space.   This one in particular seems to be a very well designed experiment on how much lighting can a plant really use.....

http://magazine.cannabisbusinesstimes.com/article/november-2018/how-to-design-and-run-a-controlled-experiment.aspx

I will read the article tonight. Thanks

I bought 2 of the 1500 watt units  so ill be  doing a first run journal clone to harvest  of  how well these panels stand up to my 2x1000 watt hoods on a per plant basis  at the moment im getting 104 grams average per plant  from  Indicas excited to see the end result if its comparable I might just be listing all my ballasts hoods and fluoros on craigslist.

7 hours ago, Kingdiamond said:

I bought 2 of the 1500 watt units  so ill be  doing a first run journal clone to harvest  of  how well these panels stand up to my 2x1000 watt hoods on a per plant basis  at the moment im getting 104 grams average per plant  from  Indicas excited to see the end result if its comparable I might just be listing all my ballasts hoods and fluoros on craigslist.

Nice! You will notice the difference right away in veg. 

Can you put these LED lights closer to the plants than HPS or MH?  I understand that the heat is much less, but is there an issue with intensity being too much?  I used to run 1,000w HPS with liquid-cooled fixtures.  I could get the plants within 6 inches of the bulb, and there was very little heat, but that was about as close as I could get the lights to the plants without bleaching them.  One big benefit of LEDs could be the ability to use lower ceilings and plants closer to the lights.

Also, about what is the ideal footprint in veg and flower?  I assume, because the lights are rectangular, that the ideal footprint is also rectangular?  

When I'm running full-bore (which is rare), I might run as many as 6 1,000w in flower and 1,000w in veg.  

It looks like I could replace all of my 1,000w fixtures with about 8 LEDs.  That would save about $200/month in electricity just for the lights - then if I subtract the estimated (broad guess) of what I need to pay for AC and hydro solution cooling, that's probably another $100/month heading into the warm season.  That means the LEDs would pay for themselves in about 4 months and then save me about $250/month after that.

That's an exciting idea.  I appreciate you sharing your experience because, like KD, I tried LEDs years ago and concluded that they were crap.

1 hour ago, Highlander said:

Can you put these LED lights closer to the plants than HPS or MH?  I understand that the heat is much less, but is there an issue with intensity being too much?  I used to run 1,000w HPS with liquid-cooled fixtures.  I could get the plants within 6 inches of the bulb, and there was very little heat, but that was about as close as I could get the lights to the plants without bleaching them.  One big benefit of LEDs could be the ability to use lower ceilings and plants closer to the lights.

Also, about what is the ideal footprint in veg and flower?  I assume, because the lights are rectangular, that the ideal footprint is also rectangular?  

When I'm running full-bore (which is rare), I might run as many as 6 1,000w in flower and 1,000w in veg.  

It looks like I could replace all of my 1,000w fixtures with about 8 LEDs.  That would save about $200/month in electricity just for the lights - then if I subtract the estimated (broad guess) of what I need to pay for AC and hydro solution cooling, that's probably another $100/month heading into the warm season.  That means the LEDs would pay for themselves in about 4 months and then save me about $250/month after that.

That's an exciting idea.  I appreciate you sharing your experience because, like KD, I tried LEDs years ago and concluded that they were crap.

First thing I did when I wanted to see if LEDs worked was buy a PAR meter.  If you put the plants close you have too much PAR. You want about 750 at full bloom. You get that at about 18" out. Maybe as close as 12". I haven't burned any plants because I know the PAR. 

The cheap ones I recommended are rectangular.  They have a rectangular footprint although the branches just outside the ideal PAR do well.  

You would save a lot of money and I bet your plants would be healthier too. 

On 3/26/2019 at 3:35 PM, Highlander said:

Talk to me when you're ready.  I'm running a room full of HLG 550's and have setup 2 whole other LED rooms now.   The results are phenomenal.  HLG has the highest uMol/J in the industry and their lights are very reasonably priced compared to others in the game.

You are right.  You can achieve too much light because they are so efficient.  Sometimes I dial the voltage down if the plants are too tall and can reduce my energy input/output by 50%.