I’m back!!!

7 hours ago, garyfisher said:

Talk to me when you're ready.  I'm running a room full of HLG 550's and have setup 2 whole other LED rooms now.   The results are phenomenal.  HLG has the highest uMol/J in the industry and their lights are very reasonably priced compared to others in the game.

You are right.  You can achieve too much light because they are so efficient.  Sometimes I dial the voltage down if the plants are too tall and can reduce my energy input/output by 50%.

A little pricey. But you get a dimmer. 

https://www.amazon.com/HLG-550-Horticulture-Lighting-Group/dp/B071WD7Q3M/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=hlg+550&qid=1553769062&s=gateway&sr=8-1

3 minutes ago, blackhorse said:

Is this system that much better than the Yehsence?

I'm considering ordering the Yehsence to add to my flowering room.

Then add more after a grow.

They say it is but I can't see why.  I'm looking for PAR and the cheaper one has it. The 'build' one cost about 3 times as much with maybe 10% more PAR. Do we even need more?  The math ($ per PAR) is better on the Yehsence. Until I see some sort of shortcomings of the cheap ones I'm following my PAR meter and the math. 

1 minute ago, semicaregiver said:

The research study that I linked on the previous page suggests that the max par plants can use is 2,000

From what I'm seeing it's more like 1000 to 1500. The thing is the footprint is heavy in the middle. So if you only have one light you might want 2000 in the center to get 1000 by the edges. I daisy chain them together to get a more even PAR footprint. The cones of PAR overlap. Like I said before, the meter is priceless setting up multiple lights, or comparing lights. 

What is perfect is an even footprint. That build I linked gives a more even footprint for one light. Some use multiple cobs or quantum boards. None of those come close to the economy of the cheap lights. A Mercedes is a nice car that is better than a Chevy but when you are on a budget you buy the Chevy. 

The original question was, "do we even need more?"   The research study as well as literature they researched indicated that cannabis plants can use up to 2000 ppfd and it can be delivered cost effectively via led's.   If you look at the pics in the story their led set up consists of  individual led light bars that looked to be 6-12" on center and only a few inches from the tops of the plants.  

http://magazine.cannabisbusinesstimes.com/article/november-2018/how-to-design-and-run-a-controlled-experiment.aspx

17 hours ago, semicaregiver said:

The original question was, "do we even need more?"   The research study as well as literature they researched indicated that cannabis plants can use up to 2000 ppfd and it can be delivered cost effectively via led's.   If you look at the pics in the story their led set up consists of  individual led light bars that looked to be 6-12" on center and only a few inches from the tops of the plants.  

http://magazine.cannabisbusinesstimes.com/article/november-2018/how-to-design-and-run-a-controlled-experiment.aspx

My point was; The plants beg to differ. 

Another study that doesn't match real life. 2000 PAR is too much. 850 is the sweet spot. And that is only right in mid bloom. All the rest of the time it's less than 850. 

On 3/28/2019 at 6:34 AM, Restorium2 said:

They are running a sale on this model right now.  You can pick it up for 671 shipped.

I bought all the DIY components, (4 quantum boards and a 1driver) and built my own for about $400 per light

20 hours ago, Restorium2 said:

My point was; The plants beg to differ. 

Another study that doesn't match real life. 2000 PAR is too much. 850 is the sweet spot. And that is only right in mid bloom. All the rest of the time it's less than 850. 

what par meter are you using?

3 hours ago, garyfisher said:

They are running a sale on this model right now.  You can pick it up for 671 shipped.

I bought all the DIY components, (4 quantum boards and a 1driver) and built my own for about $400 per light

Right. They are very basic and there are DIY videos. Same with the Fluent style light that I linked the DIY video. You can make a $1500 Fluent for $420. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/22/2019 at 1:30 PM, Restorium2 said:

Any idea what the PAR or PPFD rating is on this light? I don’t see any ref. to either.

I'm running a Fluence SPYDRx PLUS LED, 660 W actual, with an AVERAGE PPFD (photosynthetic photon flux density) rating above 1020 micro mol/s cross the 4x4’ footprint.  I added a dimmer which allows adjustment for germination, veg and flowering.  They ain’t cheap (my model currently sells for $1,500) but it’s one hell of a light.  Rock hard buds too.

10 hours ago, medmanmike said:

Any idea what the PAR or PPFD rating is on this light? I don’t see any ref. to either.

I'm running a Fluence SPYDRx PLUS LED, 660 W actual, with an AVERAGE PPFD (photosynthetic photon flux density) rating above 1020 micro mol/s cross the 4x4’ footprint.  I added a dimmer which allows adjustment for germination, veg and flowering.  They ain’t cheap (my model currently sells for $1,500) but it’s one hell of a light.  Rock hard buds too.

You could cover with a PAR footprint like your Fluence with 2 of these. I daisy chain 3 for a 4 x 8. PAR drops off around the edges(I have a meter). I think 4 would be too much over a 4 x 8. I also have 3 over a 4 x 6 and that's about perfect. No dimmer needed because of the veg and bloom switches. Every light will drop off PAR on the edges. No way around that. Seems like the LED lights are better for the plants than HPS. They seem healthier. 

That DIY video I posted is for a light very similar to your Fluence. $420 in parts. 

these lights look like junk and i guarantee their PPFD is nowhere near what a quality LED is.  Look at their deceptive marketing practices.  1500w ?? what?  No.  its 2.3amps, so like 250watts.  I wonder what the PPFD is for 250watts.  I'm pulling over a lb per HLG 550 and they run 480 watts at the plug and cover a 4x4 area  2.6 uMOL/J.  

2.6 uMOL/J.  

2.6 uMOL/J.  

What is the PPFD of these junk lights? 

dont waste your money.

I'm using 3 kinds of smaller led's. (1) 11band Diamond Series clone, (2) 11band 6 pod apollos, and a couple 3000k 300w Cree COB's. I've always had great results using one light per plant. All in all, all LED's work. Some produce a denser flower than others.

• 4 weeks later...