1500 watt x 2 LED grow

Kingdiamond

On my third grow with these lights my Headband grew a gazillion bud sites like shrubbery. So I had a gazillion buds, mostly mids.  Next time I run that strain I'm going to have to do a better job of pruning for production. 

When I grew OGKush it didn't do that so much. So it depends on the strain how bushy it's going to get under the LEDs. 

I noticed on my first LED grow that indicas and sativas seem to display their differences more prominently. The sativa dominant strain stretched a great deal while the indicas remained squat and low to the ground.

Now that I have two lights I'll be able to adjust the heights accordingly to the different growing habits. I wonder if it would be better to keep the lights for the indicas a little higher at first to encourage some stretch?

I may try a SCROG grow next time too. The bushiness and increased bud sites would seem to lend it self to that method. It almost did it by itself anyway.

My tent has one led and one 600 watt light. The led has been in tent two weeks now and seems to work well.

Not much difference in buds that I notice so far.

More bud sites with the led it looks like.

Just the savings in electric bill makes it worth purchasing the led.

Plants are 4 weeks into flower now.

Each side of tent has a same strain plant, so will be able to compare at harvest. Believe it is Wizards Glue.

Side by side comparison at the moment as far as girth  and bud structure the HPS  room is destroying the panels the panel rooms buds are more prevalent but the HPS  room buds have more girth and  feel tighter  I know its too soon to give a   clear  idea of how things will end up but so far its looking like a clear win for the electricity hogs .

17 hours ago, Kingdiamond said:

Side by side comparison at the moment as far as girth  and bud structure the HPS  room is destroying the panels the panel rooms buds are more prevalent but the HPS  room buds have more girth and  feel tighter  I know its too soon to give a   clear  ida of how things will end up but so far its looking like a clear win for the electricity hogs .

In a true comparison you would have trimmed them to have the same amount of nodes. 

On 4/29/2019 at 4:27 PM, Kingdiamond said:

Yeah they are clones  so I guess I underestimated the power they produced so I brought them indoors  and put them  under the fluoros for now to give them time to get  situated in the next sized pots .

Plus you had a setback where they wilted and then you put them under fluoros?

This stuff all matters.

You can't compared a perfect run on HPS with a messed up run under LEDs. 

When I did my side by side the plants were under the same lights the whole time, start to finish. I used a PAR meter to make sure that the plants get the right amount of light. 

We experimented for years with the HPS, we are experts. You are a newby grower when it comes to LED. One of the first newby mistakes is not trimming off the extra plant that is just dead weight. 

5 hours ago, Kingdiamond said:

How is it a messed up run ?

Other then a few days under the panels  I really wouldnt consider that a total failure at the start and how am I suppose to trim back  to match the nodes on the HPS  side ?

Everything in context. Is your HPS as hairy as those LED pics? Looks like you didn't trim them at all. Mary Mary is looking quite contrairy, lol. You pay for that in bud size and density, just like you describe. 

Not a total failure. Every grow is a failure to some extent. None perfect. Some a little farther from perfect. I think you probably did a lot better job on the plants that you put under the Hps, correct?

7 hours ago, Restorium2 said:

Everything in context. Is your HPS as hairy as those LED pics? Looks like you didn't trim them at all. Mary Mary is looking quite contrairy, lol. You pay for that in bud size and density, just like you describe. 

Not a total failure. Every grow is a failure to some extent. None perfect. Some a little farther from perfect. I think you probably did a lot better job on the plants that you put under the Hps, correct?

No I dont do any low branch culling at all and go through the pain of trimming those lower buds which seem to do well in the 2x1000 watt flower room   I will be raising one of the girls in the LED  room tonight and get her directly under the panel she is just not  popping out buds like the taller plants are.

1 hour ago, Kingdiamond said:

No I dont do any low branch culling at all and go through the pain of trimming those lower buds which seem to do well in the 2x1000 watt flower room   I will be raising one of the girls in the LED  room tonight and get her directly under the panel she is just not  popping out buds like the taller plants are.

The LED lights will really magnify your lack of attention to pruning for production.

If you had purchased the meter I recced then you would have a better idea of how to place the plants in the right amount of PAR.

You use the meter to learn how you have been using PAR with the HPS and transfer that knowledge to the LED footprint, very enlightening.  

1 hour ago, blackhorse said:

These new LED lights are new to us and we will need to adjust. 

My thought at this time is to use two LED lights and a 600 watt light in my grow room next cycle.

I see the advantage of both lights.

Still got over 3 weeks left in flower so things could change.

I would use 3 LEDs instead. There's no advantage to HPS anymore. 

You see many growers saying their plants are growing fantastic under LEDs. So fantastic that they have to learn to trim for production now. It is what it is.

I had a person look at one of my grows back in '08 ask me "Why in the hell don't you trim all those useless lower branches off"?

My face turned red and I said I didn't think of that. Duh. So the LED change over just made me thankful that I already learned that lesson. 

Edited by Restorium2

It was easy to see what the LED panels were not reaching so I  cut a ton of the lower undeveloped  branches off this morning before I went to bed  anything that had  good bud structure was spared as for another panel im running 2x1500 in a tight cabinet like space don't think more light is the answer because that is a 6x4 foot space I see a lot of frost on the leaves that I don't see in the HPS  room I can see that the quality might be better but  weight doesn't look like its going to be close .

1 hour ago, Kingdiamond said:

Yep  dirt in pots  same way since 09.

Ahhh. Saw the same thing in the LED reviews. A lady growing tomatoes in dirt had a hard time switching over from HPS. Turns out her soil temp dropped with the LEDs. Her results were effected until she added a heater to her barn to make the soil the same temp as when she used the HPS. Maybe your soil temp is higher in your HPS room? 

14 minutes ago, Restorium2 said:

Ahhh. Saw the same thing in the LED reviews. A lady growing tomatoes in dirt had a hard time switching over from HPS. Turns out her soil temp dropped with the LEDs. Her results were effected until she added a heater to her barn to make the soil the same temp as when she used the HPS. Maybe your soil temp is higher in your HPS room? 

Makes sense, especially if plants are on concrete. Using plant elevators in the led room could help, heater might be more trouble than it's worth