1500 watt x 2 LED grow

Kingdiamond

9 hours ago, Kingdiamond said:

I am sure it is a few degrees hotter but its in the outer part of the laundry room so  not that much of a difference Id think .

A few degrees makes a big difference in my water temps. 

There has to be a reason in the difference between the buds other than the light emitted. The LEDs put out plenty of PAR so it's not that. 

There are so many factors involved. 

I am an all LED grower no.  I changed over about 2 years ago.  It took me a year or so to dial them in but i am now producing more bud that is denser and higher quality.

I will give yall tips:

Since there is less heat, it is critical to maintain the room at a warmer temperature.  I use a IR thermometer and keep the leaf temperature exactly at 83 degrees.

3 hours ago, garyfisher said:

I am an all LED grower no.  I changed over about 2 years ago.  It took me a year or so to dial them in but i am now producing more bud that is denser and higher quality.

I will give yall tips:

Since there is less heat, it is critical to maintain the room at a warmer temperature.  I use a IR thermometer and keep the leaf temperature exactly at 83 degrees.

What root zone temp works best for you along with the 83 degree leaf temp?

13 hours ago, garyfisher said:

I havent monitored root temperature too much.  The Air temp is usually around 85 or 86, sometimes even higher ( i run co2)
i also run a mix of soil and hydro and for hydro I want it below 70 but i dont run a chiller.

Many growers don't bother with root zone temperature which is a big mistake. Fluctuations cause roots stress.

I have found that the roots need to be between 68 and 86 with 77 being the sweet spot.

With LED it's really important to keep your roots at a steady 77 or as close as you can get to it.

That would work perfectly with the 83 leaf temperature. The roots need to be a little cooler than the leaves for aspiration.

I've never monitored the rootzone temp, but proper vdp definitely upped my game. Running temps above 86 Degrees will cause the led paste to separate from the heatsink, resulting in premature failure. Not to mention void most warranties. Keep in mind that I am a budget grower. I have a windowshaker a couple of fans and and exhaust port. Using improper air circulation and without running any co2, I still get baseball bat sized colas using 180w led. You guys just need to dial it in. Or maybe use a mix of led and hps for all the LED non-believers. You'll likely make the switch to all LED too.

42 minutes ago, Slappy said:

I've never monitored the rootzone temp, but proper vdp definitely upped my game. Running temps above 86 Degrees will cause the led paste to separate from the heatsink, resulting in premature failure. Not to mention void most warranties. Keep in mind that I am a budget grower. I have a windowshaker a couple of fans and and exhaust port. Using improper air circulation and without running any co2, I still get baseball bat sized colas using 180w led. You guys just need to dial it in. Or maybe use a mix of led and hps for all the LED non-believers. You'll likely make the switch to all LED too.

Not on the lights being used in this grow. They have fans to cool them. The more expensive lights just have heatsinks. 

I have had these lights up to 88 degrees with no damage. 

I have fans in my LED's too. I've already ruined a 1st.gen Led( like yours) from running too hot(3 fans). Even with my 2nd gen. LED, I have the same issues(8 fans). One of my 3rd gen has consistent fan failure(2 larger fans). It runs on 1 fan just fine, I got tired of replacing the other. All i'm trying to say is get a newer generation LED. If not, you'll probably gravitate back to hps. The best LED lights have lenses... I've already wasted my money figuring it out, just trying to help. Been flowering under various LED's for 7 years.

Edited by Slappy
added

23 minutes ago, Slappy said:

I have fans in my LED's too. I've already ruined a 1st.gen Led( like yours) from running too hot(3 fans). Even with my 2nd gen. LED, I have the same issues(8 fans). One of my 3rd gen has consistent fan failure(2 larger fans). It runs on 1 fan just fine, I got tired of replacing the other. All i'm trying to say is get a newer generation LED. If not, you'll probably gravitate back to hps. The best LED lights have lenses... I've already wasted my money figuring it out, just trying to help. Been flowering under various LED's for 7 years.

You are wrong in a couple ways ...

First, like I posted, these LEDs do not malfunction at 88 degrees. I have been using them through several cycles. 

Second, I use a PAR meter so that is how I decide if any LED measures up. It's the way to go. I have recced three kinds so far from experience and the meter.

Your help is welcome but so far you are not really helping. 

Since you have such bad luck with the LEDs you have been using you should listen and use what I recommended so you quit wasting your money. You are coming here from a position of weakness and failure. I haven't wasted any money at all. 

I'm gonna tell you just like I do my wife. "Yup, uh huh, you're totally right on that." Even though I completely disagree wholeheartedly. It's no wonder these forums are practically ghosted. No one can take advice, instead just attack the suggester.Just keep doing what you're doing. and I'll do mine. I mean after all, my widow in day 30 under a 90W 7-band ufo is producing larger flowers than your led. Sad. Sad. Sad. Unfortunately I have learned the ways of LED's with costly mistakes, but that's because I was in on the ground floor. For those still using 1st gen LED's, you're several years late to the party.

I'm done kicking a dead horse. What you're doing is the same as if I was trying to give you HPS advice when I've only run a 600w a handful of times. You can do, say, or believe anything you want. I'm done, as I'm not trying to watch someone make the same mistakes I once did. And if you're using the same formula for led as you did hps, you'll produce smaller yields. 2 chemical ratios need to change in order for full led benefit. But you already did the research right? You having all the HPS knowledge that you gained throughout the years definitely gave you a leg up on LED huh? That's what you're saying. LOL. You don't grow the same way with LED. Deuces.

10 hours ago, Restorium2 said:

If you need a link to some good cheap LEDs I can provide that. The rep is easy to contact if there ever happens to be a problem. I have helped them out quite a bit with reviews so they usually will give me a discount code to pass along.

except that Facking company doesn't even have a website.  Don't buy junk from some unreputable chinese company.  

ill scream it to the grave.  JUNK with no buyers remorse.

8 hours ago, garyfisher said:

except that Facking company doesn't even have a website.  Don't buy junk from some unreputable chinese company.  

ill scream it to the grave.  JUNK with no buyers remorse.

Since it pertains to King's grow;

If you need help with a problem with the lights you contact the seller through where you bought the light. 

I had trouble with a cord and they sent me a new one in 3 days.

They also sent me a free gift on top of that and a discount code to pass along to fellow growers.

8 minutes ago, semicaregiver said:

I have never used LED's so my knowledge about their sophistication is very limited.  What does the lens do to enhance the light?

Both the UFO that slappy said he uses and the lights King is using have lenses. The reason they have lenses is for cooling. It's for fan circulation. 

I studied all kinds of lights when I first made my choice.

If money was no consideration and I had it just falling out my orifices I would have bought the Spyder+ from Fluent. 

I'm always wondering if I spent too much when going with something new so I shopped around and researched.

Cannabis has a known value and spending so much on a light it takes years to recoup the cost is not very smart in my opinion. I thought that if I could do the same thing with cheaper lights then that was a 'win'.

I bought a PAR meter and started checking all of them out.

Turns out these cheap ones I recommended to King work nearly as good. 

It was a fraction of the cost to switch over from HPS with the cheap ones compared to the Fluent. 

They are perfect for the person who wants to get their feet wet in the LED world without breaking the bank. 

Here's what money can buy you if you want the best on the market;