Sign in to follow this  
zeebudz

How Legal Weed Is Killing America’s Most Famous Marijuana Farmers

“The regulatory climate in California and the cost of all of those regulations certainly does make the prospect of a viable small farm really small,” says Trillian Schroeder, a cannabis farm consultant in Humboldt County.

In effect, legal marijuana is doing what the DEA’s war on drugs never managed to accomplish. Some observers fear the era of cannabis in Humboldt—legal and otherwise—is over.

The not-so-slow destruction of the individual cannabis farmer. And the inevitability of Big Agri? 

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2019/06/04/humboldt-county-marijuana-farmers-regulations-227041

From what I'm seeing people are getting hooked on the cannabis vape pens. So easy. That will be the end of the regular cannabis farmer. The only folks that want to burn one are old school and will eventually succumb to the vape pens also. I will still make my own cartridges but most other people will buy them from big commercial companies.

That's my opinion of where we are going. 

21 hours ago, Restorium2 said:

From what I'm seeing people are getting hooked on the cannabis vape pens. So easy. That will be the end of the regular cannabis farmer. The only folks that want to burn one are old school and will eventually succumb to the vape pens also. I will still make my own cartridges but most other people will buy them from big commercial companies.

That's my opinion of where we are going. 

Agree that vape pens seem to be the future of cannabis (along with edibles), which means that manufacturers care about bulk cannabis that can then be processed into oil.

These days I personally use mostly vape pens, unrivaled for portability and stealth. Hardly ever use my flower vaporizers. At the same time, there is nothing like the smell and taste of flower (sorry, added terpenes to oil doesn't do it for me) and my last purchase was only bud. Also, vaping oil makes me cough more than combusting (or vaping) flower. 

Edited by zeebudz

They will get all the problems worked out and make cartridges that fit everyone's needs. Almost there already. Can't believe how cheap they are. It's getting hard for the home grower to justify the time and trouble making oil that works in a cartridge, buy a refillable cartridge and fill it. I justify it right now because I know the additives in a commercial cartridge are very bad, unhealthy. They will work that out. Until then I'm abstaining from the unhealthy commercial cartridges and fill my own with 100% oil with no additives at all. 

When people go and buy their cartridges they need to ask for 100% cannabis, no non cannabis additives.

That will hurry along the process of making them better.

Buying the cheap generic ones will hamper our progress towards better cartridges. 

On 6/5/2019 at 9:42 AM, Restorium2 said:

They will get all the problems worked out and make cartridges that fit everyone's needs. Almost there already. Can't believe how cheap they are. It's getting hard for the home grower to justify the time and trouble making oil that works in a cartridge, buy a refillable cartridge and fill it. I justify it right now because I know the additives in a commercial cartridge are very bad, unhealthy. They will work that out. Until then I'm abstaining from the unhealthy commercial cartridges and fill my own with 100% oil with no additives at all. 

Agreed.  If I knew I could buy cartridges without additives, I'd probably quit growing and quit making my own carts.  

7 hours ago, simplelivingmom said:

Personally, I think it's sad to thing the cannabis industry is being a part of the problem rather than a part of the solution when it comes to wasteful plastic products.  Rolling up a joint is so much better for the earth than adding millions of empty vape cartridges in the future. 

It is sad, didn't even think about it. And even with refillable carts, it will still have to come in a syringe or other disposable apparatus. Unless something can be made to hold and dispense oil into carts, maybe like a cellulose pouch or something else that breaks down easily or can be re-used/recycled?

10 hours ago, glued gorilla said:

It is sad, didn't even think about it. And even with refillable carts, it will still have to come in a syringe or other disposable apparatus. Unless something can be made to hold and dispense oil into carts, maybe like a cellulose pouch or something else that breaks down easily or can be re-used/recycled?

I make my own oil for the carts. Re-use the extraction alcohol after I reclaim it. I use glass syringes to fill the re-useable cartridges. You have to have a lot of cannabis to work with. It's all sustainable, very small carbon footprint. 

9 hours ago, Restorium2 said:

I make my own oil for the carts. Re-use the extraction alcohol after I reclaim it. I use glass syringes to fill the re-useable cartridges. You have to have a lot of cannabis to work with. It's all sustainable, very small carbon footprint. 

Nice! Did not know about glass syringes. Maybe more companies could go that route and have a way for customers to return them to be cleaned and re-used. I don't know how many would people would want to switch over to filling their own, with the convience of pre-filled carts.

It's killing me in Colorado that the recycling centers don't take the dube tubes and canisters to recycle just because there was once cannabis in them.  It's like, here we have this new industry and we are packaging just like any other wasteful industry. 

There is little need for small growers of normal competence who's main skill is managing criminal illegal risk for grows when legal comes to town. The big players have experts who have been growing just as long who grow a crop of fairly high quality and large-scale quantity. 

The space for small growers is in boutique weed. Creating some value for the extra price they need to get to make a living in a market flooded with good, less expensive, weed.