New caregiver registration

maxaber99

Hi - I'm new to the forum and really appreciate all the great info.  I am very interested in becoming a caregiver, but having a hard time figuring what I need to fill out and send into the state.  Also, is there a fee when I get a patient and they add me as their caregiver?   Any guidance would be very much appreciated.  thanks. 

54 minutes ago, maxaber99 said:

Thank you for the response.  I thought I had to become a caregiver first and then I would add the 5 patients.

No first you find someone to name you as their caregiver you send in a change form if they already have a card to change their plant possession to you if you can find a new patient that has not submitted their patient papers yet you can also have them name you that way as well .

Hi glued gorilla.  I'm no longer planning on growing in a duplex.  that was just an option when I was looking at a place and the other tenant was already a caregiver.  I'm not in it for the money.  I've seen great results from the medicine myself and thought I could help a few others along with helping myself and if I make a little bit of cash that's a bonus.  I doubt I'll ever get to 72.  

7 hours ago, maxaber99 said:

Hi glued gorilla.  I'm no longer planning on growing in a duplex.  that was just an option when I was looking at a place and the other tenant was already a caregiver.  I'm not in it for the money.  I've seen great results from the medicine myself and thought I could help a few others along with helping myself and if I make a little bit of cash that's a bonus.  I doubt I'll ever get to 72.  

Cool, just sounded like a risky endeavor. There are also too many greedy people in this business, but to each there own, and it is not my problem either way. Good luck in whatever you decide to do✌️

7 hours ago, maxaber99 said:

Think hard about making some cash. More like spending your cash. The dispensaries are selling for $60 an ounce. Going to be very hard for a newb to make any cash. You probably would just be donating your time and cash  to a great cause. This is a money pit. You better enjoy it. 

I hope I don't come across as a p.rick, but knowing that a person needs a patient in order to become a caregiver is about the most basic element of this program.  If this is something you had to ask about, you should be asking yourself if you truly know enough at this point to stay legal and out of trouble.  You really should do A LOT of reading and ask a lot more questions before you dive in.  

For a grower, that $60 price point I can't stress enough. Who is going to make money growing for a patient when the patient can go out to a dispensary and buy a decent ounce for $60? I think it's game over. The world has moved on from making money off cannabis on a small scale. Just little bits and pieces of that world remain. Say bye bye, it's gone. All that is here now to enjoy is access, not getting arrested, and the 'big false idea' that there's still a fortune to be made, gold in them there hills..

Edited by Restorium2

Hi Highlander.  no worries.   I know I need patients, but it was not clear how i register to be a caregiver.   I'm not worried about making money as growing has become a hobby for me.  Kinda like golf for example for others.  There is a cost to it and I'm ok with that.  I just like to see what I can grow and if I can get close to break even and help a few along the way I'm happy.  Life to short to be stressed and greedy.  

24 minutes ago, maxaber99 said:

Hi Highlander.  no worries.   I know I need patients, but it was not clear how i register to be a caregiver.   I'm not worried about making money as growing has become a hobby for me.  Kinda like golf for example for others.  There is a cost to it and I'm ok with that.  I just like to see what I can grow and if I can get close to break even and help a few along the way I'm happy.  Life to short to be stressed and greedy.  

You don't have to sign up or register to do that. Every adult in Michigan can grow legally now. 

Edited by Restorium2

10 hours ago, maxaber99 said:

yeah, but only 12 plants.  I want to try different strains and have a little fun with it.  

So you will have to hope that some people will trust a stranger with some of their most personal info. I wouldn't. Not when there are dispensaries that can do it more safely than a complete stranger.

Or you can get a bunch of your friends and family to go on down and sign up for medical and name you as their caregiver. 

Most caregivers start with someone close to them with a need. Not a need to have some fun with plants and maybe help some people along the way, as you stated.  

more than 12 plants wil cost you way more than you can legally recoop.. i run 24 with a general electric bill over 500.00  between lights ac/ nutz... is not easy or free to grow.. unless you grow a few for yourself. once you step up y9ou cant loose crops .. sick people will be counting on yu,, you tell a patient sorry my crop falled and you wont likely get another.. things to ponder before hand.. and newbies loose crops on a regular basis.. its more than a seed or clone in a pot. forget abouit vacs. you can't leave that garden ,,, even for a few days.. its a life change style. .not a whim... just my 2cents as a long term caregiver with multiple patients.... 

• 1 month later...

I am trying to educate myself more on the aspect of becoming a caregiver. I have read all of these comments but am curious if someone who is a seasoned caregiver can give me more information, that you typically learn from doing it rather than reading about it. I am not a caregiver but was just interested and became a thought. Any info will be good. I understand the cost and time put into it but want to know more on the back para scope of things.

3 minutes ago, wantstoknowmore said:

I am trying to educate myself more on the aspect of becoming a caregiver. I have read all of these comments but am curious if someone who is a seasoned caregiver can give me more information, that you typically learn from doing it rather than reading about it. I am not a caregiver but was just interested and became a thought. Any info will be good. I understand the cost and time put into it but want to know more on the back para scope of things.

Start a grow, it's legal now.

Get good at it.

Look for patients.

In that specific order. 

2 minutes ago, Restorium2 said:

Start a grow, it's legal now.

Get good at it.

Look for patients.

In that specific order. 

I am growing Hemp already and was thinking about producing hybrids. I am not able to sell to dispenseries as I am not in system like marijuana growers are but if i become a caregiver I could sell my overages, is what i am gathering is that correct? 

5 minutes ago, wantstoknowmore said:

I am growing Hemp already and was thinking about producing hybrids. I am not able to sell to dispenseries as I am not in system like marijuana growers are but if i become a caregiver I could sell my overages, is what i am gathering is that correct? 

Nope. You can't sell to the dispensaries. You can legally sell to patients connected to you through the registry. Or you can give it away to anyone you want to. Those are your choices. 

3 minutes ago, Restorium2 said:

Nope. You can't sell to the dispensaries. You can legally sell to patients connected to you through the registry. Or you can give it away to anyone you want to. Those are your choices. 

Even just the CBD to dispensaries, I am not able to sell my CBD to the dispensaries? It is just such a grey area with the CBD. I am not sure i want to become a grower of marijuana but i already grow Hemp and produce CBD. I want to sell the CBD but cannot because i am not in the system and see that is only for the marijuana, I am sure they are going to eventually add hemp/CBD but at the moment it seems to get into the system is to become a caregiver to get into system to sell my CBD to dispensaries?

8 minutes ago, wantstoknowmore said:

Even just the CBD to dispensaries, I am not able to sell my CBD to the dispensaries? It is just such a grey area with the CBD. I am not sure i want to become a grower of marijuana but i already grow Hemp and produce CBD. I want to sell the CBD but cannot because i am not in the system and see that is only for the marijuana, I am sure they are going to eventually add hemp/CBD but at the moment it seems to get into the system is to become a caregiver to get into system to sell my CBD to dispensaries?

Cbd is legal federally, there has to be a way. You can buy it at the grocery store for God's sake!

12 minutes ago, wantstoknowmore said:

Dispensaries have to buy EVERYTHING from the folks that paid the big money to supply them. EVERYTHING. Even cartridges for vape pens. 

You can sell your oil to anyone who would buy it. 

Being a caregiver has nothing to do with it. 

9 minutes ago, wantstoknowmore said:

I see a lot of individuals looking for patients as caregivers, With it being legal now what is the purpose of being a caregiver anymore as they can grow their own?

To help a person in need. It is about the patient. Or at least it should be, others out there are looking for patients as a means to grow more plants and supply the rec a market illegally