600 watt / 1200 led comparison

blackhorse

49 minutes ago, Restorium2 said:

Looks close to the same. Maybe the calyxes are bigger on the LED side? 

What strain is this again?

Top pic is Skywalker and bottom is Gorilla Glue.

Starting to look as though the LED is not filling out as much as the 600 watt.

Got another week to go.

Looks like the LED side will finish before the 600 watt side. 

22 hours ago, Restorium2 said:

When I did my side by side like you are doing my LED side grew longer and got thicker in the last couple weeks. 

Vigorous growth sometimes takes longer to mature fully. 

I'll know more at harvest, which is a week or so. Skywalker is really bulking up.

8 minutes ago, blackhorse said:

After harvesting the plants I see very little difference between plants under the 600 watt compared to under the LED.

Savings in electrical use will be big difference.

Next flower will be one 600 watt and two LED's. 600 watt in center and LED on both ends.

Tent is 5' x 10'.

When you have it down there's very little room for improvement only room for failure to adapt properly.

Congrats on a perfect adaptation to a totally different light source.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Running a Maui Waui that is 9 weeks into flower, almost done.

Got a AK 49 that should have finished in 8 weeks that is going to finish in maybe 11 weeks. No sign of finishing at this time, lots of white hairs all over. Seed came from Seedsman and questioning if it actually is AK 49.

These plants are under the 1200 watt Yehsence led fixture.

Thinking the led is a week longer in flower than 600 watt hid.

These are cheaper lights, but for my small operation they seem to work well.

The 600 HLG would  be great and sure it would produce a better yield. Difference is the cost.

5 hours ago, blackhorse said:

Running a Maui Waui that is 9 weeks into flower, almost done.

Got a AK 49 that should have finished in 8 weeks that is going to finish in maybe 11 weeks. No sign of finishing at this time, lots of white hairs all over. Seed came from Seedsman and questioning if it actually is AK 49.

These plants are under the 1200 watt Yehsence led fixture.

Thinking the led is a week longer in flower than 600 watt hid.

These are cheaper lights, but for my small operation they seem to work well.

The 600 HLG would  be great and sure it would produce a better yield. Difference is the cost.

I definitely would not assume that. There's absolutely no reason to think it. 

Nope. Or I wouldn't still be using the cheap ones. It's all about PAR. You can set up these cheap LEDs to give you just as much or more light the plants need. They are more modular and flexible. All the expensive ones have is hype from sellers and the consumers who spent too much. I thought maybe the cheap ones wouldn't last long. Nope, they are very dependable too. There's really no down side if you buy the right ones.

Watch out for the folks that spent too much being crabby about it. LOL

resto likes to believe that.  I can guarantee he's not pulling the harvest the HLG is.  Please show what you're producing with your lights.  I'd love to see.  However, I'll I'm seeing is a lot of talk.  Either way, I dont think you need any special light to grow herb. I've seen great results from all sorts of setups.

I'm driving my boards HARD, so my efficiency is lower but the yield is insane.  

Blackhorse you dont need 600w to push these lights.  I chose that for the latest driver which is completely programmable(via PWM and 0-12V relay) from my grow room automation system.  It all works together so it makes sense to me for the small bit of investment.

I have to keep them at 18" at 600w, so not really efficient.  I'm working some experiments to cover a 4x8 area with only 600 watts and still produce 4lbs.  I'm fairly confident it can be done.

I can build you a 600w version for about $400
I can build you a 500w version for MUCH cheaper.  about $350  (HLG was selling this for 899)
I can build ya a 2 board light - 240 watts for about $150

Just remember these are for a 4 board light.   each one of these boards will compete with one of LED amazon lights.  So think you're getting 4 lights..  Half of the cost is the heatsink.  There are no moving parts to break or fail.  The lights are passive cooled and run very cool with the large heat sink.  I can split them into 4 separate lights.  You dont even need to run 4.  You can just run 1 board. or 2 or 3.  So all of the modular and flexibility is here as well.  I built my lights to fit my room.

If i wanted to hang each board individually, I could've but my intention was the exact opposite; to hang several boards from 2 ratchet straps.
tent1.jpg

10 hours ago, garyfisher said:

Either way, I dont think you need any special light to grow herb. I've seen great results from all sorts of setups.

Now you are making some sense. Folks like to blame their growing problems on everything they can think of. The good cheap lights do fine if you have your act together. No need to throw money at it.