t5 fluorescent for flowering?

hero4u

Hello everyone.  I have limited space available and am using 2 separate grow tens.  One for veg and one for flower.  Right now im using led lights, BUT i recently switched veg over to t5 lights and THEY LOVE IT!!!  SO, now im thinking about tearing down the led lights in the flower tent and fill the tent with t5 lights.   What kind of quality can u get flowering with t5 bulbs?  Does everything still come out tasty and buzzy?  Any info would be great.  thanks

8 hours ago, hero4u said:

Hello everyone.  I have limited space available and am using 2 separate grow tens.  One for veg and one for flower.  Right now im using led lights, BUT i recently switched veg over to t5 lights and THEY LOVE IT!!!  SO, now im thinking about tearing down the led lights in the flower tent and fill the tent with t5 lights.   What kind of quality can u get flowering with t5 bulbs?  Does everything still come out tasty and buzzy?  Any info would be great.  thanks

They do veg well, until plants get big. Then it is apparent that there is not enough light penitration, as bottom growth will get week, and some leaves die. So given that observation, I would think that they lack the intensity needed to flower a strain to potential. I have not flowered with them though. Why switch from LED? IMO everything should be ran at least twice before judgement is made. Including equipment, genetics, nutrients, ect

Edited by glued gorilla

2 minutes ago, blackhorse said:

I veg with T-8's. Use 4 bulb 4' long fixtures.

No issues as been using for years.

Using LED this veg and is new too me.

Assuming a savings on electric bill.

You probably aren't going to save much on power between the T-8 and the LEDs. 

Your plants will do much better though. Stronger because they are being fed better.

Think of it like this;

You are deciding what to feed your kids and you find out iceburg lettuce has no nutritional value and you switch them to spinach. 

I've never flowered with T5, but if you haven't tried those UV PowerVeg t5 bulbs...you need to. Those things made me strike clones so fast, and all the plants loved them. However if you hold your hand underneath for longer than 15-20 seconds, they will start to burn. Why switch from LED to T5? LED's work great!

Not all LEDs are great though. Some are totally useless. Like trying to grow with Christmas lights. I can imagine there are still a lot of growers out there getting ripped off by people selling them bad LEDs. 

Plant lighting is a complicated thing. It's hard to quantify the light coming off any fixture. Plenty of room for the bamboozlers to sell you some serious garbage and say it's awesome. Buyer beware.

ok thanks for everyones suggestions. tight now, for flowering, i am using (two) 300 watt led viparspectra lights and (one) 1000 watt yehscence led light.  all three are full spectrum.  

Just was wondering if these are sufficient enough to get get taste and quality.  I knew someone who grew the dj short blueberry with nothing but fluorescent lights and it grew great and was very tasty.  The buds didnt get overly large or anything but it tasted and buzzed great.  

24 minutes ago, hero4u said:

ok thanks for everyones suggestions. tight now, for flowering, i am using (two) 300 watt led viparspectra lights and (one) 1000 watt yehscence led light.  all three are full spectrum.  

Just was wondering if these are sufficient enough to get get taste and quality.  I knew someone who grew the dj short blueberry with nothing but fluorescent lights and it grew great and was very tasty.  The buds didnt get overly large or anything but it tasted and buzzed great.  

The LED lights you are using have a better potential to grow cannabis with superior taste and quality than any other type of plant light available today. 

30 minutes ago, hero4u said:

Do you have access to that genetic? If you grow that under your lights, it will probably be even better

a few years back I replaced my t5's and 600w MH with 315w CMH way better solution.  Life span on the 315's is several years vs less than a year for the t-5's plus regularly had to replace end fitting in my 8 tube fixture.  Bottomline, less power and as good or better veg results.  Minimal cost for conversion if you have a dimmable ballast and a fixture for the 600 MH.   Just buy the adapter for the socket, $10-15, buy a bulb and turn the ballast down to 400

12 hours ago, Kingdiamond said:

Spoke too soon these  lamps get hotter as they go  it is looking like im going to have to  run a portable ac if I am planning on using this during the warm months in flower.

Yup. At least with the regular HPS you can put the ballast in another room. Having the ballasts hanging over the plants? Not sure what the inventor was thinking.