20/4 VS 18/6 for VEGGING???

hero4u

I have run them all, differences are negligible. I run 24 on, but do notice that some strains show a bit a bit of stress. 18/6 I feel you get slightly slower growth, but happy plants. 20/4 you get the best growth and happy plants.

I don't like using timers, because they can fail, so I run 24on. Make the decision based on what you want. Lower electric?, Go with 18/6. Faster growth, either 24 on or 20/4, these 2 are very close, if you want to mess with a timer, 20/4 is probably best.

Again, differences are SMALL, pick one

16 hours ago, Slappy said:

The longer the dark period, faster the stretch. I keep mine 24, otherwise It'd be a jungle in there.

What do you mean by stretch? Plants strech in transition to flower, but not sure what you mean by strech in veg? I have noticed the most growth with 24on, but difference is very small

On my latest run with diesel in hydro my timer switch got accidentally switched to 24 on at two weeks before flower. 

I switched to 12/12 and the buds are a little stemmy compared to normal. That would be stress. 

Way back about 20 years ago a famous grower told me that growing 24 on would cause stress.

First time I've seen it was lately by accident. 

1 hour ago, glued gorilla said:

What do you mean by stretch? Plants strech in transition to flower, but not sure what you mean by strech in veg? I have noticed the most growth with 24on, but difference is very small

By stretch I meant vegetative growing. The more darkness you give, the faster the grow. I veg on 24 for minimal vegetative growth.

1 hour ago, Restorium2 said:

On my latest run with diesel in hydro my timer switch got accidentally switched to 24 on at two weeks before flower. 

I switched to 12/12 and the buds are a little stemmy compared to normal. That would be stress. 

Way back about 20 years ago a famous grower told me that growing 24 on would cause stress.

Really? 2 weeks before flower? That's ridiculous. I stress my plants out with all kinds of techniques, and the absolute minimum I wait is 5 days. GTFO. Try blaming your mistake on something that makes sense. I very often put my plants in 24 darkness right before the flip. LMFAO. My ish always be fire!!!!!

Edited by Slappy

1 hour ago, Restorium2 said:

You have any idea how many 'ol growers tales I've tried and busted? darn near all of them. In fact, I made it this far by doing what everyone else told me not to do in this field. I was told that I need to run an entire nutrient line or I'm wasting my time...and i won't grow much if anything. However I combined my favorite CES, AN, GH, Botanicare, Roots Organic, and Fox-farm products and am now killing it! I call it "Slappys Clusterfu*k" formula. And it's already getting me scouted...

Edited by Slappy

Just now, glued gorilla said:

Interesting, I noticed the opposite in my grow

Honestly, you may be right. What I'm referring to isn't solely regarding cannabis. I was referring to every other plants life cycle. Typically the nutrients and sun energy are stored and then dispersed during the plants resting period.

6 hours ago, Restorium2 said:

You misunderstood. I meant the whole two weeks before going to 12/12. 

I thought it might not matter but it did.

Sure. I guess its easier to place blame on that instead of realizing you made a different mistake. Stemmy? Can you explain in more detail? Maybe I can help.

11 hours ago, Slappy said:

Sure. I guess its easier to place blame on that instead of realizing you made a different mistake. Stemmy? Can you explain in more detail? Maybe I can help.

It was the only thing different from the two previous runs under the same lights. 4 weeks flower, hydroponic system. The upper stems are a little thicker than normal and the buds are a little thinner. More leaf growth in the buds too. Just on the upper buds. The rest are normal. 

IMG_0807.JPG

Edited by Restorium2

Fair enough. I was just busting your balls really. I'll just say it was the effect from the Tahoe OG brownies. In all seriousness, it looks like over-feed. The burned tips and the like. I honestly have never seen leaf burn like that, unless it was soil grown. Brings me back to the days when I butchered several stains, as a noob, using Ocean Forest.

22 minutes ago, Slappy said:

Fair enough. I was just busting your balls really. I'll just say it was the effect from the Tahoe OG brownies. In all seriousness, it looks like over-feed. The burned tips and the like. I honestly have never seen leaf burn like that, unless it was soil grown. Brings me back to the days when I butchered several stains, as a noob, using Ocean Forest.

That leaf browning and curling is the first sign of magnesium deficiency. This strain does that when it starts making buds. When I see a couple leaves doing that I add magnesium and it quits. It's normal. As you can see, most of the leaves look great. I have been growing this strain for a very long time and know all of it's quirks. It's svf diesel, the real headband. Very old strain, an elite. 

It's definitely not overfeeding. I follow the ppm with my bluelab meter religiously. These are set up on automatic fill and drain like my geothermal aeroponics in the other room. So I can easily adjust everything right down to the single digit on ppm and down a couple decimal points of ph. This strain is a heavy eater so right now I'm at 850 ppm and going up. I micro manage my grows. 

This strain does the big stem up top thing when it gets stressed. Heat stress usually. But it's not over 80 and I have lots of air moving. The only other thing I can think of is the timer malfunction stressed them. When I switch to 12/12 it went to 24 on instead for two weeks. When I figured out the lights where on 24 7 I switched out the timer and put them back on 12/12. So I'm fairly certain the problem was the stress of 24 7 for two weeks before flower. 

Edited by Restorium2

I'm just saying miss-shoots happen. In fact, 2 of my best flowering tricks came from getting wasted and miss-shooting. Heat stress causes more foxtailing, and by the looks at the fan leaves thats not the problem. Don't even get me started on BlueLab. Overpriced, and not needed. I've been using my cheapo HM for 9 years. For my reservoir, I use a soup ladle into a solo. Boom! I think your problem was you miss-shot silica.