Cities that allow caregiver grow - any ideas?

marcusgoldman

Hello all. Appreciate the help in advance. Question is whether anyone is aware of any city that allows caregivers to grow in an industrial/commercial building? I'm trying to find information online, at the city, etc., and haven't found anything but contradicting information. I'm referring to a caregiver arrangement where someone can grow 12 plants per patient (medical marijuana). Are these allowed, with the city's knowledge, anywhere? Building? Homes? Thanks in advance!

I'm no legal pro by any means but... I'm pretty sure there was a case here in MI about the alleged "illegal operation" done in that same sort of manner. Never heard much more on that case afterwards. I wonder If they won? Anyone else remember that?? They even had "storage" options for overages....

City can’t stop you. 

It will come down to finding a landlord that will let you or purchasing a building yourself. 

If renting you may need to deal with the red tape like pulling permits and getting a certificate of occupancy. 

Easy way is to find a pole barn you can build out easily without prying eyes. 

I had to deal with electrical inspection when I upgraded my electric to 400 amp service. Actually the electrical inspector refused to sign off on it so I had to go over his head to the building inspector and he made me redo my connections to commercial code instead of residential code, copper vs. aluminum.  Once the panels were in I didn’t have to pull any permits or I guess I should say I didn’t pull any permits. 

4 minutes ago, shishka said:

City can’t stop you. 

It will come down to finding a landlord that will let you or purchasing a building yourself. 

If renting you may need to deal with the red tape like pulling permits and getting a certificate of occupancy. 

Easy way is to find a pole barn you can build out easily without prying eyes. 

I had to deal with electrical inspection when I upgraded my electric to 400 amp service. Actually the electrical inspector refused to sign off on it so I had to go over his head to the building inspector and he made me redo my connections to commercial code instead of residential code, copper vs. aluminum.  Once the panels were in I didn’t have to pull any permits or I guess I should say I didn’t pull any permits. 

Thanks for the response!

So, I guess it comes to the issue of use when obtaining a certificate of occupancy, getting permits, etc. - what do you tell the planning department when you are trying to set up a grow room in a commercial/industrial building? Or even a barn? They're going to want to know the use.

What city did you set up in?

Thanks in advance!