When do you trim?

2 hours ago, wjkingsnorth said:

I am a week away from my first harvest. Do you trim your buds before they dry or after? Which is easier for a beginner?

I find wet trimming to be faster and easier to deal with, I take all the buds off the stalks as I go and dry in racks in a controlled room at 65 degrees and 52%humidity for 10 to 14 days.

If you can't control your drying environment as well, you can still trim wet, just leave them attached to the stalk. Or you can hang plant whole and dry trim. I have dry trimmed, and I do find that plants that are dryed whole(de fanned) and trimmed after dry are a bit more arromatic and seem to cure easier. Dry trimming does take more time though. Maybe be do one each way? Then you know what you prefer

Edited by glued gorilla

I take all the fan leaves off except the few at the top of each cola. Whack that hoe, then hang her in front of a fan.I do mine in a smaller tent, you can too(use carbon filter). Hang dry for the minimum of 8 days, or your flower will taste like hay and require a longer cure to bring out the aromatics. When flowers are dried, trim, place in jars and burp them a few times a day. Move the flower from the top to the bottom of the jars and vice versa. People think mine is fully cured 18days from the chop. LOL.

Edited by Slappy

9 minutes ago, Slappy said:

I take all the fan leaves off except the few at the top of each cola. Whack that hoe, then hang her in front of a fan.I do mine in a smaller tent, you can too(use carbon filter). Hang dry for the minimum of 8 days, or your flower will taste like hay and require a longer cure to bring out the aromatics. When flowers are dried, trim, place in jars and burp them a few times a day. Move the flower from the top to the bottom of the jars and vice versa. People think mine is fully cured 18days from the chop. LOL.

When I say hang for 8 days, I mean don't let her dry faster than 8 days. Start the fan on a higher setting the first couple of days, then lower it as needed.

On 9/12/2019 at 1:05 PM, blackhorse said:

I prefer wet trimming.

Dry trimming is done when I don't have the time to wet trim.

Both work so it is your choice. Try both.

Same here. With trimming it while fresh, within minutes of cutting the buds off, the leaves haven't curled all in and stuck to the bud. I don't know how someone can dig the small leaves out of the stickiness. Must not be that sticky? With mine you just about have to wet trim it or it's a leafy mass. I like the leafless sculpted bud look. My peeps are spoiled. Some folks are lazy trimmers.

• 2 weeks later...