250 HPS or 400 HPS for 4x4 tent?

hero4u

I have a 4x4 grow tent i am using for flowering.  I am using led lights right now but want to switch to a HPS light.  small room so heat may be a problem.  I am thinking about using a 250 watt to help with heat.  OR, should i use a 400 watt?   Any help would be greatly appreciated!  Thank You!

I'd try a 400hps stand alone, or a 250hps and 1 LED. 250W seems too small for a 4x4 by itself. I've noticed great results using hps with LED. I no longer flower in a tent, but have done it twice. Go air-cooled hood to reduce the temps in the tent. Otherwise heat will also be an issue with HPS.

Edited by Slappy

19 hours ago, hero4u said:

ok thanks!

600w with AC hood, if you are able vent out. If you can vent the hot air from lights to the outside, and have cool air to draw in from the room your tent is in, you could even do a 1000w.  If you don't want to air cool the light, go smaller. A 315 LEC or two could also be a great option.

4x4 is 16sq feet, 50w per sq foot is usually a good number, so that would be 800w in your space. 600w, really should be your min, to maximize your space.

Edited by glued gorilla
more info