Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Hi, my name is Jane. I've been a member of MMMA from the onset.  Recently, my son Ethan, who is 19, was driving home to Kalamazoo, MI from Northern Michigan University after it was announced that school was postponed in mid-March.  On his way home he was pulled over by police. He has a medical marijuana card, but didn't have any marijuana in his possession.  He was given a roadside sobriety test and was taken to the nearest hospital for a blood test. Then he was taken to jail for the night. He has been charged with a OWI and his court date is June 9.  According to my son, he was not read his miranda rights, and he was not under the influence when he was pulled over. A friend suggested that I reach out to this group as this may be a familiar situation, and help may be available.  Ethan has a court-appointed attorney, but he googled him, and apparently the attorney and the arresting officer are connected socially.  I'm not sure how to support my son through this. I don't want a small thing to turn into something that limits his options as he progresses through life.  Also, he made the Dean's List both semesters his Freshman year.  Thank you.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

It would be best to retain an attorney that you trust. It may cost a little more but a good attorney is the only friend you have in the criminal justice system. Why risk jail, fines , probation coasts, community service, drug counseling etc. just to save a few bucks in the short term. Kormorn Law is one of the premier cannabis law firms in the state. If they can't help you then they should be able to refer you to someone in your area.

It sounds like any competent lawyer would be able to get the charges dropped or at least reduced. If they are charging him with having cannabis in his system when he has a medical card it should be thrown out of court anyway.

Tell the court you aren't comfortable with the lawyer due to what you found in your research and ask for a delay so you can obtain proper representation. If you can't get an attorney before the court date "stand mute" when asked for a plea. The judge will enter a "not guilty" plea in your behalf.

In my experience the courts are only shaking you down to see how much cash they can get out of you. Think of it as being way laid by gangsters looking for an excuse to rob you.

Extend my best wishes to your son during this stressful time and best of luck fighting for your freedom.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Create New...