What you think of 20 gallon pot size?

rock49911

Newbie here, never grown.  Getting ready to germinate 2 seeds and transplant into two 20 gallon plastic pots.  Any you have experience in this size?  Advantages and disadvantages?  I know from tropical fish hobby, the larger the aquarium the more stable the environment, temperature etc. so thinking similar situation with size of grow pot size.  Also, something about the size of the pot gonna help in root development and plant size?  Gonna germinate in something called "cow pots" #3 round pots (2 1/2 inch) and set these into the 20 gallon pots.  Closet size grow room, only growing two plants, scrog.  TIA

Edited by rock49911

5 hours ago, rock49911 said:

Newbie here, never grown.  Getting ready to germinate 2 seeds and transplant into two 20 gallon plastic pots.  Any you have experience in this size?  Advantages and disadvantages?  I know from tropical fish hobby, the larger the aquarium the more stable the environment, temperature etc. so thinking similar situation with size of grow pot size.  Also, something about the size of the pot gonna help in root development and plant size?  Gonna germinate in something called "cow pots" #3 round pots (2 1/2 inch) and set these into the 20 gallon pots.  Closet size grow room, only growing two plants, scrog.  TIA

What you do is start small and as the roots fill the container move up in size. 

For example;

1.Solo cup.

2.Bottom of gallon milk jug.

3. 2 gallon pot.

4. 5 gallon pot.

5. 20 gallon container. 

20 gal might be a bit of overkill, how long do you want to veg, and how big of plants do you plan on growing? I grow in 7gal, veg 2months and yeild 8-10oz+. I start In  solos, up to 1gal, then  up pot to 7gal. when it has good roots and drinking regularly. I would not reccomended a 20gal unless you are going for a 4month veg.

On 6/7/2020 at 12:57 PM, rock49911 said:

What type of lights and environment will these be in?

Thanks all.  Decided to go with a 7 gallon fabric bag now for indoor grow, hope to start germination in a few weeks.  So I got these 20 gallon plastic pots, could I use them for an outdoor grow in U.P. MI? 

than