Jump to content

Want to grow aeroponics


josh y2020
 Share

Recommended Posts

I grew aeroponics for about 10 years.  The process while shortening yield times increases your reliance on technology.

Any failure on the water pump feeding the spray nozzles results in crop loss after less than 12 hours (depends on when it happens, i.e. lights on/off and strain).   

Control of reservoir temp is critical.  The process of spraying your nutrient solution tends to bring the nutrient solution up to the ambient air temp.  Also the pump itself adds heat to the reservoir.  This is not a deal breaker, but you may find yourself looking at a chiller to control the reservoir temp.

Ambient humidity can also be affected by the process.  You will at some point need to address the increased humidity in the room.  It can be as much as 10% higher than other techniques.    While one might think of the tanks/systems as being sealed, the process relies on getting an increased level of dissolved oxygen to the roots of the plants.   Typically airstones are used to pump air into the reservoir/root system area.  Simple physics indicates that this added air will pressurize the tank/reservoir and it will exhaust high humidity air into the room.

Aeroponics is a great way to go, but understand that you are looking at an entire new level of reliance on technology, ie. pumps, timers, dehumidifiers and chillers.  Using something like an aerocloner is one level and very simple.  Step up to a grow room filled with aeroponics and it is a new ball game.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, semicaregiver said:

I grew aeroponics for about 10 years.  The process while shortening yield times increases your reliance on technology.

Any failure on the water pump feeding the spray nozzles results in crop loss after less than 12 hours (depends on when it happens, i.e. lights on/off and strain).   

Control of reservoir temp is critical.  The process of spraying your nutrient solution tends to bring the nutrient solution up to the ambient air temp.  Also the pump itself adds heat to the reservoir.  This is not a deal breaker, but you may find yourself looking at a chiller to control the reservoir temp.

Ambient humidity can also be affected by the process.  You will at some point need to address the increased humidity in the room.  It can be as much as 10% higher than other techniques.    While one might think of the tanks/systems as being sealed, the process relies on getting an increased level of dissolved oxygen to the roots of the plants.   Typically airstones are used to pump air into the reservoir/root system area.  Simple physics indicates that this added air will pressurize the tank/reservoir and it will exhaust high humidity air into the room.

Aeroponics is a great way to go, but understand that you are looking at an entire new level of reliance on technology, ie. pumps, timers, dehumidifiers and chillers.  Using something like an aerocloner is one level and very simple.  Step up to a grow room filled with aeroponics and it is a new ball game.

All very good info.

The rainforest 66 doesn't use pumps and nozzles.

It uses a vortex sprayer that pulls the liquid up a cone and flings it off a disc at the top of the cone.

No heat increase without a pump.

No clogs because there isn't an orifice that the liquid has to pass through.

The spraying all goes on under a cover so there's no humidity added to the room.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Resto, I looked all over the net for detailed cross-section pics of the RainForest and I could not find any external inputs, either electric or pneumatic, ie. air pump.   I understand the concept of a spinning disc creating a spray, it is well established technology for paint sprayers and aerators used to increase the dissolved oxygen level in wastewater treatment.  What causes the disk to spin?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, semicaregiver said:

Resto, I looked all over the net for detailed cross-section pics of the RainForest and I could not find any external inputs, either electric or pneumatic, ie. air pump.   I understand the concept of a spinning disc creating a spray, it is well established technology for paint sprayers and aerators used to increase the dissolved oxygen level in wastewater treatment.  What causes the disk to spin?

12 volt servo motor sitting above the reservoir with a shaft that extends down to the disc that spins a few inches above the water level causing a highly oxygenated area in the upper root zone. I buried my reservoirs beneath the floor of my basement and use aquarium heaters to get the temps just right and consistent. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Fogponics seems to be a very nice way to grow plants very quickly. There are some relatively simple DIY set ups if you look around. As others have mentioned, it does rely on electricity and parts that can clog. If you have a generator, and aren't lazy, thats not much if an issue.  I do not have experience with this type of system, but does seem to be a very effective at growing plants fast! If i go back to hydro, this will be my next foray.

A system i do have experiece with is the Aeroflo 60. These are also very nice, but way more effective at growing small tightly spaced plants than larger ones. I tried growing 10 larger plants in one, instead of 30 or 60 as previously done. I managed to grow large beutiful plants, but the roots, clogged the tubes, and made it to the reservoir. It caused water to back up and flood out. Root rot was also an issue. So, if you want numbers of smaller plants, this is great, but if you are trying to grow a few large ones, this does not work well. Plants grow fast, if doing 30 or 60, veg 3-7days from well rooted clone.

Also, if you go with aeroponics, realize that you need to run a lower EC, i rarely went over 1.2. usually started at .6-.8 and worked up.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I had looked at the fog set up.  It would be ideal, but it just seemed too easily clogged  

The simple unit Resto found seems ideal.  I am guessing you too found issues with reservoir/water temp causing root rot and as a result you set them into the floor to help in water temp control.

The one question I would have regarding the Rainforest unit would be plant size.   It looks like the spacing would limit you to relatively small plants.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, semicaregiver said:

I had looked at the fog set up.  It would be ideal, but it just seemed too easily clogged  

The simple unit Resto found seems ideal.  I am guessing you too found issues with reservoir/water temp causing root rot and as a result you set them into the floor to help in water temp control.

The one question I would have regarding the Rainforest unit would be plant size.   It looks like the spacing would limit you to relatively small plants.

Never had root rot once. The high oxygen stops it. But I did have slowed growth when the temps were not ideal. Usually too cold. I don't have heat problems because I move a lot of air. 

I do a 4' by 8' SCROG with two Rainforest units. They fill the screens with buds. Very short veg time. 

It was the way to go before the rule changes here in Michigan. 

When you can grow 50 pounds a year or more legally outdoors I'm not under any pressure to grow indoors anymore. What a relief!!! Haven't had a large power bill lately. It's all good. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Keep in mind that every time I ran a cycle of the 4' x 8' SCROG I would produce a couple pounds which made it a little tough to stay in the rules for medical. Always over weight. Always needing a full patient count. Like hurding cats!

Now I can have as much as I legally grow on my 12 outdoor plants, no limit.

No worries. Always legal. Man on the cannabis mountain. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share



×
×
  • Create New...