Victory in Ann Arbor Court for Medical Marijuana Patient on Probation

KLAW Blog

Komorn Law is proud to report a significant and relevant case victory directly related to our recent Michigan Court of Appeals Opinion win in the People v. Thue case where as a registered medical marijuana patient cannot be penalized for consuming medical marihuana while on probation.

The Client Issue

Our client was charged with violating his probation for allegedly testing positive for “Marihuana” on 2 occasions. The allegations were based upon a urine test which both indicated the metabolite of Delta-9 THC, Carboxy -11/ COOH-11.

Our client was certified as a medical marihuana patient after the date of the first alleged violation but before the second alleged violation. We had filed several motions, including but not limited to, a “Motion to allow for the Medical Use of Marihauana While on Probation”.

A probation violation hearing began on January 14, 2021, whereby testimony was taken, from the probation officer, and our expert.

Our position and the evidence we presented established that the urine samples indicating the metabolite Carboxy-11 COOH-11, were from a lawful source. The matter was adjourned, mid hearing.

Return to Court

On February 22, 2021 – when we appeared before the court again in person, we were happy to hear the court had read and reviewed the People v,.Thue case, commented on our involvement, and was prepared to rule on the allegations regarding the 2 positive urine tests.

Because of the People v,Thue case our previous position regarding “lawful THC” became moot.

In summary the court found that because of the current valid medical marihuana patient status of my client, he could not be revoked from probation, for either violation. That is to say, that the allegation of his use prior to becoming a registered medical marihuana patient (and the allegation after he became a certified patient) were dismissed.

“Counsel, that is my interpretation of the case” the Court said. To which I replied, I agree that is the correct interpretation. 

The Court dismissed both of the violation, and amended the sentencing order to allow for the medical use of cannabis while on bond.

Huge shout out to our client for his courage in wanting to assert his rights and challenge the allegations, the legal defense team at Komorn Law PLLC, and Dr. Land for his expertise in science and assistance in presenting our case.

MK

The post Victory in Ann Arbor Court for Medical Marijuana Patient on Probation appeared first on Komorn Law.

View the full article

• dwkl unlocked this topic