Overcoming disappointment with my outdoor crop

mishigami bear

I grew my first outdoor crop last summer, planting directly into the ground, filling the hole with organic soil amendments, worm castings, etc. The plants grew really well, getting very large. They looked beautiful like something out of a magazine. Very little insect damage, beautiful green vegetative color, wonderful shades of purple emerged during flowering, and the buds got nicely resinous.

However, once it came time to harvest, it seemed like the plants lost all of their terpenes. I dried it properly (with no signs of mildew) and cured it in glass jars. In the end, I have a large quantity of alright buds that get me high. But it is simply missing that taste that I like in my smoke. Very disappointed.

So my question to the hivemind... how should I go about insuring that my outdoor crop maintains as much terpenes as possible?

Edited by mishigami bear
spelling

10 hours ago, mishigami bear said:

I grew my first outdoor crop last summer, planting directly into the ground, filling the hole with organic soil amendments, worm castings, etc. The plants grew really well, getting very large. They looked beautiful like something out of a magazine. Very little insect damage, beautiful green vegetative color, wonderful shades of purple emerged during flowering, and the buds got nicely resinous.

However, once it came time to harvest, it seemed like the plants lost all of their terpenes. I dried it properly (with no signs of mildew) and cured it in glass jars. In the end, I have a large quantity of alright buds that get me high. But it is simply missing that taste that I like in my smoke. Very disappointed.

So my question to the hivemind... how should I go about insuring that my outdoor crop maintains as much terpenes as possible?

Sounds like plants I grew in the woods. Back when I needed to be stealth. Your plants need sun all afternoon until sundown. What else could be the difference? Compare the differences between your indoor and outdoor. You have the answer in your mind. Compare the buds side by side and all the pictures you have. Since you are the person who trimmed both you should have noticed some differences. Maybe the outdoor plants got too much nitrogen? A little more 'green'. 

Could be you harvested too early. 

Thanks everyone for your replies. I was growing Blueberry x White Widow seeds that were F2s of DJ Short's from a Canadian seed company.

The quality of direct sun during late afternoon and early evening indeed suffered from being outdoor. Same with early morning sun. There was a good few hours after sunrise before the direct sun evaporated off the dew.

Indoor conditions give all day light which allows full development of terpenes. Outdoor can't quite hit that same level of skunk.

7 hours ago, mishigami bear said:

Thanks everyone for your replies. I was growing Blueberry x White Widow seeds that were F2s of DJ Short's from a Canadian seed company.

The quality of direct sun during late afternoon and early evening indeed suffered from being outdoor. Same with early morning sun. There was a good few hours after sunrise before the direct sun evaporated off the dew.

Indoor conditions give all day light which allows full development of terpenes. Outdoor can't quite hit that same level of skunk.

Yup. Woods plants. Either cut down some trees or find a new spot to grow.

• 1 month later...