North Carolina Cops Push For Access To Drug Prescription Records

:angry:

http://www.prisonplanet.com/north-carolina-cops-push-for-access-to-drug-prescription-records.html

North Carolina cops push for access to drug prescription records

Thursday, September 9, 2010

The North Carolina Sheriffs’ Association is pushing the state to open up drug prescription records to police in search of painkiller abusers, a move that has raised alarms among privacy advocates.

The Charlotte News & Observer reports that sheriffs made their proposal to a health care committee working on the problem of prescription drug abuse.

“We take that information, we could go and check against that database and see if that person, in fact, appears to be doctor shopping and obtaining prescriptions for the purpose of resell, which is illegal,” said Sheriff Samuel S. Page, president of the sheriffs’ association.

(ARTICLE CONTINUES BELOW)

North Carolina cops push for access to drug prescription records 140410banner4

Having A Supply Of Healthy Foods That Last Just Makes Sense (AD)

But privacy advocates worry that opening the state’s database of painkiller prescriptions to police would effectively turn pain sufferers into suspects in criminal cases.

“If access to this database grows, thousands of North Carolina residents — most of whom have no agenda besides getting well — instantly become potential suspects,” says an editorial in the Gastonia, NC, Gazette. “One of the firewalls protecting private information will crumble. Doctors already forced to practice defensive medicine to stay out of civil court will second-guess their decisions even more frequently to stay out of criminal court.”

“I am very concerned about the potential privacy issues for people with pain,” Candy Pitcher, a volunteer with the American Pain Foundation, told the News & Observer. “I don’t feel that I should have to sign away my privacy rights just because I take an opioid under doctor’s care.”

See site for full story.

Well they already have access to most of our info anyway.

They can invade our homes and rob us at will.

They can muder at will.

So medical records is no big deal.

HeII before long they will be wanting to take our wives for a spin....its for our own good they just want to keep us safe. ;)

People need to wake up!

Good points, much of this information is already available, via unsecured insurance company databases that pay for much of these prescribed meds. This move is aimed more at being able to use the information in the persecution of folks.

Anybody seen the price of Bearer bonds recently? (bonus points if you got that reference).

I never noticed this before in your sig Rev.

"Prohibition will work great injury to the cause of temperance. It is a species of intemperance within itself, for it goes beyond the bounds of reason in that it attempts to control a man's appetite by legislation, and makes a crime out of things that are not crimes. A Prohibition law strikes a blow at the very principles upon which our government was founded." ~Abraham Lincoln

Not a big fan of ole Abe but true words none the less

I never noticed this before in your sig Rev.

"Prohibition will work great injury to the cause of temperance. It is a species of intemperance within itself, for it goes beyond the bounds of reason in that it attempts to control a man's appetite by legislation, and makes a crime out of things that are not crimes. A Prohibition law strikes a blow at the very principles upon which our government was founded." ~Abraham Lincoln

Not a big fan of ole Abe but true words none the less

Good quote

Archived