Air Cooled Hoods And Venting Grow Room

Magoo4242

Now that I have posted a few times on my general grow room set up and received som great advice and info. I have a few specific questions now.

Basic Room info:

16' long by 5' wide by 8' tall.

Plans call for 3 1000W AC HPS lights

appox 18 to 24 plants (Flower Room)

1. I am putting in (3) DayStar 1000W air cooled lights. My original plan was to vent the hood in series. I was planning on using (1) 400CFM fan pulling air from outside the room and running through ducting to the first light and then ducting from the first light into the second light, ducting from the second light into the third light and then ducting from the third light out of the room.

- Is one Fan at the beginning of this enough?

2. I am planning on installing a 6" inline fan carbon filter combo. Fan is 424CFM.

I was planning installing this fan/filter in the upper back corner of my room near the top.

- I am hoping to vent the room air through this filter and out of the room.

- How often and for how long do I need to run this fan/filter? I am thinking I do not need this constantly running.

- Do I need an intake fan for the room. I was planning on putting a intake hole with Heppa filter in the front bottom of my room. Will the Filter/Fan pull the air from the room and bring new air into this room from the intake hole as it displaces current air or do I also need and intake fan running co-current with my exhaust fan/filter?

Thanks for all your help gang, this forum has been a great place for me so far.

IMO your fan would do the job without the filter for sure. It will be close depending on the total run (inside & outside the room. and if the ducting is smooth or flex. Smooth being much better for air flow. As the filter ages the fan will have to work harder. But you will probably be good if you can keep it straight.

I run my fan for the full 12 hrs my lights are on to keep the temp fluctuations to a minimum. But use a speed controller so its not running all out. Just fast enough.

Air intake W / heppa filter should work but needs to be at least twice the area of your exhaust. So like 12" x 12 ". Remember to guard against light leaks.

Hope some of this helps, have a good one

IMO your fan would do the job without the filter for sure. It will be close depending on the total run (inside & outside the room. and if the ducting is smooth or flex. Smooth being much better for air flow. As the filter ages the fan will have to work harder. But you will probably be good if you can keep it straight.

I run my fan for the full 12 hrs my lights are on to keep the temp fluctuations to a minimum. But use a speed controller so its not running all out. Just fast enough.

Air intake W / heppa filter should work but needs to be at least twice the area of your exhaust. So like 12" x 12 ". Remember to guard against light leaks.

Hope some of this helps, have a good one

Thanks for the reply man. The room is going to be set up in the garage. The Filter/Fan will vent directly out the top of the room into the attic/roof area of the garage. I am hoping that this will heat the garage somewhat as to not cause issue with the air temp coming from outside the grow room, yet inside the main garage structure.

My grow room is insulated but the garage is not. I was hoping to not have to actually run the fan and exchange the room air all the often to try to save on the temp in the room. But you make a good point of shocking the plants if the air coming in is too cold and causing a drastic fluctuation in air temp. I will have to think about how to actually do this a little deeper now. Helpful advice from other is always appreciated.

Again thanks for the response man!

You could run your light vent independently. intake from garage into grow room then back out. Running the fan would have no effect on the room environment & would not pump out any smell, just heat.

Then just sit your can filter & fan in the corner on a timer as needed.

extra fan but more control..

just a thought....

You could run your light vent independently. intake from garage into grow room then back out. Running the fan would have no effect on the room environment & would not pump out any smell, just heat.

Then just sit your can filter & fan in the corner on a timer as needed.

extra fan but more control..

just a thought....

Not sure I understand this. As explained in my original post I plan on running my Air Cooled lights on a separate fan, all on a closed system. A fan running air through the hoods and back out of the room all into the attic.roof area of garage. SO basically I have two fans. One for the light cooling system and one for the room air ventilation.

Am I missing something? I could be that is why I ask.

Thanks again...

Archived