Cargiver Questions

I am new to this site and have been reading many of the posts for people new to this forum. Here are some basic questions that may have been answered already, but I would appreciate any help in getting started.

I have been diagnosed several years ago with glaucoma and have my medical records. I plan to see a doctor to get the signature and documentation needed so that I can submit the proper documents to the state. Then, I will be ready to start growing. I also want to become a cargiver. In addition, my partner also wants to become a caregiver. My question surrounds the document that I send to the state. Is it best for me to put her name down as my caregiver and then put down that I will have the plants at my home? The thought here is that we then would both get a card so that we are legal to start growing. The goal we have is for both of us to become caregivers.

The second part of the question is once we are both caregivers, can we consolidate our growing operation at one of our homes? Is it legal for me to have her plants from her patients in my home? If so, what do we have to do to make it a legal operation.

I have my appointment set with Dr. Bob on Dec.7. I found this through the help of the forum.

Thank you in advance for any help that you can give us.

To your first question. Your idea of listing her as a caregiver does provide you both with a degree of legal protection. By listing her as a caregiver, but maintaining your rights to possess your own plants, she'll be able to assist you with your plants, as long as you realize that in this situation, 2 cards still only equals a total of 12 plants. (You don't BOTH get to grow your plants.) Many couples go this route as it also provides protection for both of you in terms of possession of the medical marijuana.

As to your second question, I think it is fair to say that most here would agree that with proper labeling and separation of the plants, more than 1caregiver can grow at the same location. Some would even argue that labeling and separation of plants is not necessary. That being said, not all law enforcement agrees with this interpretation of the law and the case law has not been adequately established to guarantee this is safe.

As an example, Bob and Torrey on this site were a married couple, both patients and authorized to grow (so together, technically allowed 24 plants, 12 each.) Still, law enforcement raided their home and claimed they were over the limit because they had 21 plants total. Their case is still tied up in the courts.

Archived