Allowing A Dispensary In Forest Township, Genesee County.

greenbuddha

SO FAR, SO GOOD FOR MEDICAL MARIJUANA DISPENSARY IN REMOTE FOREST TOWNSHIP

by Ron Fonger, Flint Journal, (Source:Flint Journal)

writeNewsItems();Regional NewsUS MI: Conference to Discuss Impact of Med Marijuana

US MI: Medical Marijuana Dispensary Opens Without a Fight in Rural Forest Townsh

US MI: Big Daddy's Says No Thanks to Redford

US MI: Holland Needs More Time to Create Its Medical Marijuana Ordinance

US MI: Expert Says Medical Marijuana Regulation Will Have to Come From Local Go

US MI: Medical Pot Shop Snuffed for Now

US MI: Ypsilanti: City Paves Way for Medical Marijuana

US MI: City Council Holds Off on Pot Decision

US MI: E.L. Dispensary Regulations on Hold

US MI: Column: Das Hemp-Kapital

More News Select a State See Map Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware District of Columbia FEDERAL Florida Georgia Guam Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Puerto Rico Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virgin Islands Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming Check State Laws

23 Feb 2011

Share This Article delicious.gif digg.gif stumble.gif facebook.gif twitter.gif

Michigan

-------

FOREST TWP., Michigan -- At a time when some cities and townships are going to war with marijuana dispensaries, the smallest township in Genesee County is taking a laissez-faire approach to cannabis commerce.

"My oath of office requires I uphold the laws of Forest Township and the state of Michigan," said township Supervisor Valerie Pace. "The voters approved ( the Michigan Medical Marijuana Act in 2008 ). I'm not spending township dollars trying to fight it."

Owner Tony Butler opened The Green Oasis on North State Road Monday, vowing to be a good neighbor in the rural area, in part by helping to take marijuana out of the shadows and using it as the basis of a legitimate business. He's one of at least six such operations that are up and running in the county.

So far, so good -- "no negative feedback," Butler said from his converted donut shop, 10001 N. State Road, Suite B.

Butler said he hasn't run into vocal opposition to his dispensary and hopes to open a private club in the same building where people can "responsibly medicate" by May.

"I'm fully invested in this ... It was a hell hole when I got it," Butler said. "I've put a lot of time and effort" into doing it right.

Butler, 26, grew up in Otter Lake and still has friends and family in the immediate area. As a licensed caregiver, he's allowed to dispense marijuana but has seen others in this fledgling industry shut down or stopped before they can open in other parts of the county.

Pace said she was won over because Butler showed he was serious about doing things the right way but it didn't happen quickly and she hasn't been the only one with doubts.

"My grandma didn't think it was the smartest idea," he said. "It's new to everybody ( but ) I'm going to stay within Michigan laws ( and ) I think I will put ( drug dealers ) out of business."

Carlo Yasee, a partner in Sam's Korners, a party store that operates in a different suite in the same building as Green Oasis, said he's glad to see someone put the commercial building to use.

"My mother had cancer ... she had all this pain medicine she went through so this, I'm for," Yasee said. "He's an entrepreneur. He knows his product. There's people who grow weed. He grows medical marijuana."

Michigan State Police Lt. Phil Hart said the Flint MSP post has no plans to interfere with Green Oasis such as the Lapeer County Sheriff's Department raids of a Dryden dispensary in 2010.

Forest Township has no police department so request for police help are handled by the state police.

"In most townships and cities we're relying on them for any type of licensing or permits ... no different from any other business," Hart said. "If they find anything awry they could call us."

While Michigan voters approved medical marijuana two years ago, the federal government still considers use of marijuana illegal. U.S. Department of Justice officials have said they will not prosecute medical marijuana usage in states that have passed laws permitting its use.

Butler said his business has no other employees yet but he envisions it becoming a destination for an area bigger than the township, which has fewer than 5,000 people. In addition to a private club, he's interested in adding services like massage and stone therapies as he grows.

"A lot of these people opened quietly" elsewhere, Butler said. "I tried to bring my ideas .. to the township ( and say ), 'Here I am.' "

powered.pngMAP posted-by: Richard Lake

Share This Article delicious.gif digg.gif stumble.gif facebook.gif twitter.gif

Pubdate: Wed, 23 Feb 2011

Source: Flint Journal (MI)

Copyright: 2011 Flint Journal

Details: http://www.mapinc.org/media/836

Author: Ron Fonger, Flint Journal

Bookmark: http://www.mapinc.org/mmj.htm (Marijuana - Medicinal

Archived