Ballast Wiring Question?

I have a 400w Holophane self contained ballast/reflector that came out of a warehouse. I am trying to hang it for supplemental lighting but am having problems with the wiring. It is made to run on 120v, 208v, 240v, and 277v. I am trying to wire it for standard household 120v. When I account for the 3 leads from a 120v cord- ground, neutral, and hot- I still have several wires left over and they are all white??? If someone could point me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

The ballast has multiple taps. Each wire from it should have writing on the insulation telling you what each tap is for. If you are wiring for 120 volt you will connect the black wire from the power cord to the wire labeled 120 volt connect the white wire from the power cord to one labeled common (usually there are two commons one for the neutral from the power cord and one that goes to the lamp). Connect the green to your ground. Now u should have three wires coming from the ballast labeled 208 220 and 277 don't connect those to anything and put a wire nut on them to cap them off. The only other wires should be for the lamp and they should still be connected because you would have no reason to disconnect them.

Archived