Prozac-Like Effect Of Cannabis

The Digital Nomad had an interesting post recently talking about medicinal use versus recreational use of cannabis and he reminded me of a question that I've often wondered about.

In my layman's mind, the effect of prozac on people is to adjust some sort of 'natural chemical imbalance' that they have so that they can feel normal. Might some people be born with a 'natural cannabinoid imbalance'?

Over the years I've known many people that would take just a couple of tokes every morning, just to feel 'right'. They wouldn't smoke very much at all. This looks to me to be very similar to the use of prozac... it makes people feel 'normal'.

For some, might cannabis use be like prozac in that it adjusts a natural cannabinoid imbalance in them? Any thoughts?

My original reason for obtaining my card was work related pain but the main benefit I have noticed is the fact that I'm no longer on prozac or xanax...not to mention the pain meds.

I hated the way those chemicals made me feel from day one...unfortunately it was hell trying to sleep or even make it through the days (at its worst point)

But now,one or two tokes on a small one hitter gets me through the day.

My personal life and relationships are better, as well as my overall mood and behavior.

My fiance (who is a mental health professional) has seen the change first hand and will be the first to tell you that MMJ has improved my life; as well as our relationship.

As far as the cannabinoid imbalance, I don't know for sure but it is something being researched.

In the future, anxiety disorders, like phobias and post-traumatic stress disorder, and depression also may benefit from drugs that target the endocannabinoid system. Studies have shown that the endocannabinoid system in the brain's emotion and memory areas enhances how the body manages emotions such as stress and fear. Drugs that block the breakdown of endocannabinoids show promise as anti-anxiety and antidepressant treatments in animal models and will be tested in the clinic soon.

Beyond Marijuana: Endocannabinoids and Therapies

Archived