Is The Mmma A Legal Charitable Organization?

I know that the MMMA is currently helping out a lot of folks so it is a charitable organization. In a legal sense though, I don't think it is a Charity, is it?

What I was wondering was if it would make any sense to try to become a legal charitable organization. What legal steps would need to be taken by the MMMA to actually become a charity so that everyone's donations to the MMMA could be tax deductible? Just sort of blue sky thinking to see if there would be any other advantages or disadvantages....

I leave it to the MMMA CEO to answer whether it is currently a registered charitable org. My input is "why would the MMMA want to invite scrutiny of its financials, bank records, member info lists, etc.?

When a person forms an LLC, PLLC, C Corporation, S Corporation, etc., the formed company or corp. gains legal status similar to being an individual with rights. Short of a Court order to open the company books, they remain confidential to the principals/officers of the company/corp. I'm going with "privacy is good." On the other hand, a nonprofit organization agrees, as part of the formation rules, to allow auditing of financials by outside persons (non-members) such as state Treasury Dept., IRS, maybe other state and fed. auditors. Falls under "if you want exemptions from paying tax per nonprofit org. rules, we get to audit your books when -we- want, not when -you- want."

I leave it to the MMMA CEO to answer whether it is currently a registered charitable org. My input is "why would the MMMA want to invite scrutiny of its financials, bank records, member info lists, etc.?

When a person forms an LLC, PLLC, C Corporation, S Corporation, etc., the formed company or corp. gains legal status similar to being an individual with rights. Short of a Court order to open the company books, they remain confidential to the principals/officers of the company/corp. I'm going with "privacy is good." On the other hand, a nonprofit organization agrees, as part of the formation rules, to allow auditing of financials by outside persons (non-members) such as state Treasury Dept., IRS, maybe other state and fed. auditors. Falls under "if you want exemptions from paying tax per nonprofit org. rules, we get to audit your books when -we- want, not when -you- want."

Good point. Whatever the legal form of the organization, the 3ma is doing good works

Archived