Mdch Director Steps Down

DCH Director Steps Down

Department of Community Health (DCH) Director Olga DAZZO has stepped down to return to the private sector and is being replaced by former Gov. John ENGLER's DCH Director, Jim HAVEMAN. It is not clear what private sector position Dazzo has obtained.

Today's news didn't exactly stun the medical community, which had been hearing stories of discontent within the administration and DCH for several months. Some felt Dazzo's leadership lacked a broader vision for the department, and tended to focus on details to the extent of micromanaging, sources told MIRS.

Dazzo came to the position from PHP, where she was the head of strategic planning, a detailed-oriented position. In the DCH position, sources tell MIRS she had problems delegating details to staff.

"She worked hard, but she wasn't the best fit," one source told MIRS.

Under Dazzo's leadership, DCH focused on weight loss initiatives and reducing infant mortaility while losing issues like medical marijuana and the health care exchange to the Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs (LARA).

Nonethelss, Dazzo earned nothing but public praise from Gov. Rick SNYDER for her 18 months on the job.

"Olga is a dedicated health professional whose contributions to Michigan residents are very much appreciated," Snyder said. "I respect her desire to return to the private sector where she wants to more directly work with the health care system to bring about positive change. I wish her the best. Olga's focus on reducing the obesity and infant mortality rates in our state demonstrates her unwavering commitment to health and wellness."

Others in the health care field also wished her well.

"We wish current MDCH Director Dazzo the best as she moves on," said Rick MURDOCK, executive director of the Michigan Association of Health Plans (MAHP).

He noted that she had provided leadership on such issues as the sustainability of the Medicaid program through the paid claims tax and the development of a preventative health focus and long-term plan.

"I have truly enjoyed serving as DCH Director and I am very pleased that we set a vision and a framework to address chronic illnesses and infant mortality," said Dazzo.

Sen. Bruce CASWELL (R-Hillsdale), on the Senate floor today, thanked Dazzo for her service.

Haveman, of Grand Rapids, served as DCH director from 1996 to 2003 and Department of Mental Health Director from 1991 to 1996. After his term, he went to Iraq to work with doctors, social workersand nurses on substance abuse issues.

Most recently, he's served on the Board of Directors of Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan. He is stepping down from that position effective Friday. He will take over as DCH director Sept. 1.

"The Governor understands how interconnected the physical and mental health of our citizens is to our economic success and I am honored to return to public service and focus on this comprehensive approach to health and wellness," said Haveman. "I look forward to building upon the successes Director Dazzo and her team have established as we move forward to reinvent our state."

Dazzo become the second Snyder cabinet pick to leave their original position. Former Department of Natural Resources Director Rodney STOKES was moved to another position within state government.

In appointing Haveman to serve as director of DCH, Snyder said, “We have an ambitious health and wellness agenda that is vital to Michigan's economic future and overall quality of life, and we're fortunate that former DCH Director Jim Haveman has agreed to return to state service and drive that agenda forward. Jim is an experienced leader and a recognized innovator. His appointment demonstrates our commitment to maintaining health and wellness as a top priority.”

Being an old-but-new pick, he's already got friends in the health community. Hassan JABER is executive director of ACCESS Community Health and Research Center, which works to provide comprehensive, community-based health care to minority populations. He said he'd continued to be in touch with Haveman as he worked internationally.

“He's very familiar with the issues we're dealing with. I think he's very capable,” said Jaber. “He really now has a global perspective on health care issues.”

Edited by AlternativeSolutionsPlus