High Buds!

I'm the 50+ y.o. "virgin" in the room. My doctor appointment is scheduled for this week. I have had crippling back pain since a car accident, almost 30 years ago.

I would have made an appointment earlier, but was intimidated by the process. I wanted to see how the gray areas of the new law worked out, but eventually decided not to wait that long!

I've been taking my chances for so long that I decided to keep to myself and continue using in the shadows. I finally went through what I think is the hardest thing to do - talked to my doctors. Two out of three were curiously amused. They would have nothing to do with getting me registered, but wanted to know more. Unfortunately, my family physician (the one that prescribes the narcotics) was not amused and thought that he knew everything. He told me that severe and chronic back pain does not qualify to be registered. While he never warned me about driving under the influence of narcotics, he did ask me not to drive while "high". I have damaged my relationship with my doctor. I could have requested my medical records to be transferred and refused to say why, but if he looked at the receiving physician the results would have been the same, or worse. He didn't say that he wouldn't see me again, but this seemed like telling my boss how my job was going to be done. Time will tell if I need to find a new doctor now and the doctors that will register you don't take regular patients. I'm NOT complaining. I can get medical care, but this is a real problem. I have always understood everything about my health and made my own medical choices. Some folks with complicated medical conditions or other circumstances may not have the same choices that I do. The vast majority of doctors have predisposed doubts about the medicinal value of marijuana. How can we ever hope to change so many minds? I know, and my doctor knows, that it is simply his belief that marijuana has no medicinal value for me.

I look forward to learning from everyone here and maybe I'll work on this doctor for a while. We may have to try to change one mind at a time.

This is a good thing, but there sure is a long way to go!

Guest thequietone

Welcome Vaporeyes. Unfortunately many doctors refuse to see the benefits of the cannabis plant. Too many years of government propaganda have filled their minds with false information and now we have to reeducate them. Next time you see him bring in some of the studies that are being done that show how much cannabis helps. There is a post that lists the many studies out there, give me a minute and I'll add a link.

http://www.michiganmedicalmarijuana.org/index.php?/topic/14618-grannys-entire-list-latest-edition/page__p__129744__fromsearch__1entry129744

Vaporeyes

Welcome to the forum. On your next appointment take a copy of the law and show him where chronic pain is covered. Do this respectfully. Also tell him how it relieves your pain. It might help if you can show him where use of marijuana has helped you to slow the use of other painkillers. This is going to be a process of educating your doctor. I think each of us owes it to ourselves and future patient to educate the doctors on the benefits of marijuana.

Vaporeyes

Welcome to the forum. On your next appointment take a copy of the law and show him where chronic pain is covered. Do this respectfully. Also tell him how it relieves your pain. It might help if you can show him where use of marijuana has helped you to slow the use of other painkillers. This is going to be a process of educating your doctor. I think each of us owes it to ourselves and future patient to educate the doctors on the benefits of marijuana.

I had a binder full of information. I brought out the sheet from the MDCH and pointed to severe/chronic pain. He said "I don't care. It isn't covered." He is prejudiced and as soon as I can find a new family doctor, I will. I got the certification process started yesterday. I just went to a doctor that advertised helping to get certified. I had the $200.00 fee, but with that, the annual $100.00 fee to the MDCH and my new electrical bill, staying underground is cheaper. I love to garden and marijuana is my favorite plant to grow, so I'll pay the fees and sleep easier, not worrying about getting busted. I'm going to start shopping hydroponic equipment now. Any suggestions/help would be appreciated.

Archived