How Long Does This Process Take?

I got a call from the clinic on friday, saying that i had been approved, and would i call for an appointment. So, i have many questions, if y'all will bear with me...

How long does it normally take to get an appointment at the clinic?

After my appointment at the clinic, will I have a prescription, and can I start using marijuana legally?

Do I need to wait for my card from the state to start purchasing through a caregiver?

How long does it take to get a card from the state?

thank you all for your time and patience.

You won't get a prescription, you'll get a doctors recommendation to use marijuana. From there, you send all appropriate forms in, wait the unreal time of well over 3 months and then you get a card.

It is up to you if you want a caregiver or want to grow your own...edit: most caregivers will not deal with anyone without a card. Keep copies of ALL your paperwork as they serve as your card until you receive yours. Especially keep a copy of the cashed check from the state. Your golden 20(kinda) days after that happens...

You will make your decision whether to begin use and/or cultivation once you have your recommendation in hand. There are some caregivers who will agree to begin to cultivate on your behalf and/or provide usable mj at that point. It is typically a couple to a few weeks until a clinic can get you in to perform the exam.

Please read the law carefully, especially §8 in regard to the affirmative defense. You might consider that protection if you have the resources to handle a legal defense under that section of law because it protects you from conviction, but not from arrest and due process, which can cost a few thousand dollars in attorney fees. Duly completed and copied forms would be good faith documents acknowledging that you have a condition that qualifies, and are evidence that you have the right to use and/or grow. If you choose to wait, you have more protection after twenty days from the receipt on the part of the Health Department of your application. If you are denied for any reason, and that typically only happens when the paperwork is not filled out properly, you will be notified sooner than those twenty days. Waiting for the card offfers the best protection, but as is widely known, takes much longer than the law requires that they be mailed to you.

It is a matter of how much risk you, and anyone involved with you as your caregiver, are willing to accept.

Archived