Question About Lighting

popeye25

When I first got legal I bought and used a 400w hps lighting system. The plants were stretched out long but the buds were very airy. Now I switched to 1000 hps. This is my first grow with these new lights. The plants that are flowering are not tall at all. They are much shorter. I hope maybe the buds with be more dense. Anyone know why that is? Thanks for the help as I'm still learning.

You're getting far better light penetration with the 1000 watter. The reason your plants before stretched and "aired out" was that the plant was doing what it could to increase the surface area exposed to the light (these girls REALLY like their light, lol.) This is also the reason that you want to keep your lights as close to your plants as possible without burning them...the farther the light has to travel, the less intensity and penetration it'll have.

With the higher penetration of light from the 1000 watter, the plants don't need as much surface area to take in the lumens (light) because the light in penetrating more and reaching more of the existing plant. Yes, you should have tighter and denser buds as a result.

Hope that makes sense.

You're getting far better light penetration with the 1000 watter. The reason your plants before stretched and "aired out" was that the plant was doing what it could to increase the surface area exposed to the light (these girls REALLY like their light, lol.) This is also the reason that you want to keep your lights as close to your plants as possible without burning them...the farther the light has to travel, the less intensity and penetration it'll have.

With the higher penetration of light from the 1000 watter, the plants don't need as much surface area to take in the lumens (light) because the light in penetrating more and reaching more of the existing plant. Yes, you should have tighter and denser buds as a result.

Hope that makes sense.

Thanks for the info. It makes perfect sense. Popeye25

Archived