Doctor Appointments For Student-Activist

Ok, here's the deal. I was recently diagnosed with scoliosis last summer but have had back pain, muscle spasms and nerve pain since 2004 or 2005. At various points I've been told I have ulnar neuropathy, lateral epicondylitis and thoracic outlet syndrome. I've done 3-4 rounds of physical therapy and tried osteopathic manipulation as well as muscle relaxants and large amounts of both naproxen and ibuprofen, all to no effect, except for the muscle relaxants which made me feel like I had a hangover x10 the next day, worsened my depression (oh yeah, I have that too) and also required me to get at least 10 hours of sleep any time I took them, not something I can always do in college, especially since the pain gets worse the more work I have to do. I've been using cannabis to treat my symptoms for about 2-3 years now and it helps without making me feel hungover or more depressed, and I don't even have access to anything but mids. I'd love to get a medical card to treat my symptoms, especially since I think being able to find the right strain(s) will help even more, but I haven't been able to find a job recently. I'm almost certain that asking my parents for the money to go to a medical marijuana clinic will only make matters worse and my current doctor is the health clinic at my university. I'm also heavily involved in Students for Sensible Drug Policy to advocate for medical marijuana patients as well as other drug legalization efforts, and what little I don't spend on medicine and groceries goes to that (which is not a lot as is). I can't afford to get a card unless I go without either food and/or medicine for probably about a month, but I'm tired of being treated like a criminal and running the risk of arrest just for using the medicine that works for me. Does anyone know of any doctors/clinics that could help me out? I'm committed to drug policy reform and am willing to volunteer/work off the cost of an appointment.

jon165 I wish you the best of luck. It sounds like you have a lot stacked against you, but never quit. I myself am in the same boat to a degree. I cannot even begin to afford the costs of seeing a compassion clinic for MM endorsement. However if there is anything I can do to help please let me know. If I learn anything that may be helpful to you in your situation I will pass the information along.

Archived