Insulation

IBL

Hello everyone.

Im writing because im sure there are plenty of you with more experience with insulation than myself. Im trying to figure out what R-Value I should use to insulate my room. It will be laid between a sheetrock similar to drywall with mold protection and 2x4 frames for support, in a basement with one very small window. Thanks for the feedback.

So you think I can get away with just 7.5 down here? Is there a large difference in the ability of constant temps between the 7.5 to 30? Just worried about large temp fluxes with our seasons. Dont want to over do it or under do it. Thanks.

you can't have too mu2x4ch insulation. use the highest r value for the space you have. 2x4 is r-15

i would recomend any of the foams (such as what welj31 stated) i my self used six inch foam(michigan foam .com),steel

studs.and a good vapor barrier,then covered with tuff-r 3/4",took those cans of spray foam and sealed the hell out oof it.a lot of energy (heating or cooling)is lost thru transfer,and because of infiltration of another enviroment vvia small cracks and air leaks.my temps fluctate about 4 deg from target of 75 thru out the whole year.almost forgot one of the better aspects its cleaner as far as mold and bugs go

as professional builder code dictates min.R11 however R13 can be used. however avoid anything thicker 3.5 inches the tighter you pack it the more heat or ac you lose in other you lose Rvalue by packin it to tight.follow that with a min.6mil.plastic taking care to tape all seams staples and any holes . seal bottom to floor with a bead of silicone this will help with bugs and cleaning you can also look at home depot for alternative wall coverings because drywall is not recommended (not even greenboard )dolomite and gypsum can and do promote mold growth in moist conditions one suggestion I would make is pebble finish white plastic sheeting which is about $6 a sheet 4x8 and for god's sake seal. seal. seal.!!!! the best thing you can do is seal the bunny muffin out of it. as someone who has had to switch from houses to growrooms (due to economic reasons) if you have any questions feel free to shoot them to me otherwise happy harvesting p.s..... above all cleanliness means happy plants

Wow, lots of helpful post guys. Thanks alot. I was just talking to a friend and he suggested R-13 between the frame followed by Visqueen then the drywall. Would yall still stray away from drywall under those conditions.

hey IBL me personally yes only because I've what happens when drywall gets moist however if you put up drywall with plastic behind it. paint it .then hang panda film over that you should be alright but i must strongly suggest sealing all seams .holes. and staples if used remember your not only stopping.moisture your also stopping invaders. but also making it easier to control odor .because if you seal it right the only way you should smell it. is if your standing in the room.even though it's legal stealth is still the key remember you still have neighbors with noses some bigger than others!!!!!! anyways hope I was able to help happy harvesting!!!!!

Archived