Power Outage

UrbanFarmer

yup, its something we gotta be ready for. power outages are gonna hurt you NO MATTER WHAT MEDIA you grow in. lightning storm/power loss during flower?? bad news. a generator is always good to have as a backup............... period. whether you are growing indoors or not :) ya never know when you may need to plug your frigde in for a couple weeks. :) i heard about those ice storms you guys had a couple years ago.

I was down for almost 24 hours. No lights, had to moved to windowed room just to access daylight. No pumps, had to resort to manual ebb n flow method! That was fun! More than a couple of casualties.

Freezer does okay for 48 hrs or so if I don't open it and IF I'm here to put blankets on top of food asap.

I'm thinking these storms are a sign of a "new normal" lol. Gonna work on a generator, some homemade biofuel, and hope to get to a solar backup at some point. Could have been pretty catastrophic.

The utility companies have to pay you for lost food and appliances from an outage (reluctantly), wonder if they'd pay for my plants?

I used an old diesel generator for years.. When she went down things became a little hectic... :blink: priority one was get it running for the next 12 hour cycle... Made for a few nights with grease up to my elbows..LOL I finally retired that old generator a couple years ago... I like the idea of a propane standby generator.... simple built in protection for when the lights go out :ph34r:

"The utility companies have to pay you for lost food and appliances from an outage (reluctantly), wonder if they'd pay for my plants"

My utility company told me to file a claim with my homeowners insurance company for my lost grocery's in the fridge when they messed up our substation and we were without power for like a week... :angry: Sucked.... It was in the dead of august with temps in the 90's Insurance paid for the grocery's that was cool.. Hmm..... that makes me wonder.... I would be hopping mad if I lost a whole crop by the utility messing up like they did for us, ..... But would either the utility or insurance pay?????? Sounds like a small claims court case of epic proportion!!!

Read my posting on "off grid" situations

Run any internal combustion engine on wood smoke

many links and videos listed there

That is Motherfkn cool... :o Dang man thanks for sharing.... Wish I had one a few years ago... "Wood" have saved me a ton... Literally... Looks like I have a new project... Peace..

I live in a very nice sub with beautiful expensive home

and tons of trees, over the past 30 years we have always

lost power! If someone drives by our sub and farts I think

the power goes out....

This is a BIG part of the reason I am not growing at this point in

time myself...........

Someday I want to get a inline generator but right now it just is not in the budget with

all the other work I have going on around the house.

Archived