New Medical Marijuana University Attracts Many In Mid-Michigan

http://abclocal.go.com/wjrt/story?section=news/local&id=7586081

http://abclocal.go.com/wjrt/video?id=7586044

By Iris Perez, ABC12 News Reporter

GENESEE TOWNSHIP (WJRT) -- (07/31/10) -- Some are spending the weekend at one of Genesee Townships budding attractions, a new medical marijuana university.

Patients and caregivers of medical marijuana can now learn more about the new law and the plant at Oaksterdam University.

Some are calling it a lifesaver and a great alternative to addictive prescription drugs.

Nearly 50 people filled the classroom at the Genesee County Compassion Club, where the fifth Oaksterdam University Michigan seminar took place.

Classes are given to patients like Cindy Simerson, who says the plant helped her heal her three forms of cancer. "It's really the only thing that helps with my bladder spasms .... I have been doing the oil, the medibles .... trying to prevent it from coming back."

Caregiver Jeffrey Hyder is taking the course because he sees the plant as a safe alternative to prescription drugs. "What my patient does. He vaporizes marijuana instead of taking the Vicodin that he used to take. Since he's done that, he doesn't need the painkillers anymore."

Class facilitators say the classrooms aren't just filled with smokers.

"I have patients who don't smoke at all. They've never smoked in their life, so I make them tinctures. I make them external tinctures that they can rub for arthritis pain. I make internal tinctures, I make medibles for them to be able to eat a half a cookie just for them to get the relief that they need," said Genesee County Compassion Club Co-Founder Shyanne Goupil.

Dispelling ignorance around medical marijuana is what Hyder and Simerson say the seminar is doing.

"Where else are you going to go to learn the things you need to know about the laws, producing it, growing it, using it," explained Hyder.

"If everybody would just stop using prescription drugs and maybe vaporize some marijuana, they'd be a lot better," added Simerson.

The seminar costs $250 to attend.

you can learn anything you need on youtube.. for free.. from home ;)

im sure alot of info is covered you cannot find on youtube.. also alot of info you find on the net is 100% wrong

this school is not just about growing.. its about everything you need to run and keep a buisness going with michigans euniqe MMJ laws

"have I been or paid the $250?" no i havent

But there are plenty of people out there that a 2-3 day weekend collage class for $250 would be cheap enough and not hurt thier pocket book like it would mine

im sure alot of info is covered you cannot find on youtube.. also alot of info you find on the net is 100% wrong

this school is not just about growing.. its about everything you need to run and keep a buisness going with michigans euniqe MMJ laws

But there are plenty of people out there that a 2-3 day weekend collage class for $250 would be cheap enough and not hurt thier pocket book like it would mine

most of the people who attend ou. are from other states they want to learn about the laws as well as the cultivation of mm.it is a very informative class but g3c will giving classes of there own starting aug 13 2010.members 25.00 non members 40.00 thats not bad to learn everything youy need to know.

I have been reading and watching on youtube,yahoo and any wheres else i can like WWW.greenmansgrowlibrary.com there is alot of FREE there. and alot of others. heck just google it and you will have the answers.. AND not all 100percent wrong.. where did you get your info if it was all wrong?

Archived