Swiss Cheese Constitutional Amendment?

Guest Wayne

Have we not reached critical mass for this useless piece of crap constitutional amendment? "Gray areas"? Murky language"? "Poorly written"? "Worst piece of legislation I've ever read"? etc, etc.

Should we not request, beg, perhaps demand that the legislature step up and "fix" this horrible mistake? Maybe we blew it when demanding Kuiper's, Cropsey, and the rest back off. Write your Michigan Congressperson and urge them to join with 3/4 of their colleagues in legislating change. We can trust THEM to do all the right things.

I can't believe MPP was so ignorant as to fund the effort knowing how bad an idea this whole law was. Maybe they are involved in a conspiracy to sabotage any real effort by the people to legalize cannabis medical or otherwise.

I am not sure if you are being sarcastic or not, but I still think there are better avenues to bring about clarifications, than using the legilature.

I think the first step would be at least stating what we feel needs to be changed or clarified, if anything. So in that light what particular parts of the law do you want changed?

None. Sarcasm isn't my point. My point is this community is crying just as loudly as the opposition about all these "issues" with the law. Do YOU have any idea as to what you actually voted for? Or are you one of those "ignorant voters that voted with your heart and not your head" as the opposition likes to so politely put it? Seems we and the opposition are on common ground regarding interpretation of this new law. If we complain enough they will come to understand the responsibility they have to "straighten" this all out. They can confidently act on our behalf and bring about significant change. We may disagree with their changes but if we demand it be done we have to live with the consequences. So who wants to keep this Swiss Cheese Constitional Amendment so poorly written and then enacted by the people?

If not how shall we legally institute change? Only two choices. Another public referendum where we can hope to get it right this time and again gain support of the voters, or the legislature? Pick your poison.

None. Sarcasm isn't my point. My point is this community is crying just as loudly as the opposition about all these "issues" with the law. Do YOU have any idea as to what you actually voted for? Or are you one of those "ignorant voters that voted with your heart and not your head" as the opposition likes to so politely put it? Seems we and the opposition are on common ground regarding interpretation of this new law. If we complain enough they will come to understand the responsibility they have to "straighten" this all out. They can confidently act on our behalf and bring about significant change. We may disagree with their changes but if we demand it be done we have to live with the consequences. So who wants to keep this Swiss Cheese Constitional Amendment so poorly written and then enacted by the people?

Most of the "crying" from this community about the issues with the law, seem to revolve around the lack of education that those in a position to enforce the laws of this state. Also around their harrassment of folks that are in compliance with the law. The main clarifications I see this community asking for are in regards to definitions, such as what is a plant, what is considered usable material, and what is a reasonable quantity. These clarifications are asked for so that folks can avoid any ambiguity when it comes to dealing with LEO.

I am very aware of what and why I voted for the passage of this law. Logically it made sense, just read my signature for an explanation of why, and my heart definitely agreed with being able to compassionately care for the patients of this state that are suffering from their medical conditions and the problems their "prescribed" medications cause.

I am curious to find out what you see as the common ground between this community and the opponents of the law.

For the record, I haven't used marijuana in any form in over 25 years, my interest in this issue is based on being able to help my loved ones and others alleviate some of their suffering. Simply stated, I was not interested in consumption, so that argument should be nipped at the bud before it is even formulated. Too, I am in no way making any money from this industry or anything associated with it, as a matter of fact I am actually losing money (by my own choice).

The courts will ultimately define this law and to date I'm willing to leave it in the capable hands of the Michigan Supreme Court. What this community has in common is the cry of "gray areas". There are no gray areas just willful ignorance on the part of the opposition. But they will play that to the hilt and if we don't take a stand on what we voted for they will prevail. Dispensaries should have arose from local efforts to gain acceptance in municipalities, townships, and counties. No reason we can't petition local government, but as we are seeing those forging ahead without discussion are carrying bricks for the wall being built by the opposition. They may build that wall without our help, but if we carry the bricks we can't complain if we don't like the shape of the wall they are building.

Enabling our enemies seems counter productive to me.

That is why we need to help in the education of those folks that can and do have influence over the design of that "wall". With education and petitions, we can perhaps change the design of the wall, or even have that wall stopped before it is structurally sound.

Sitting on our hands and keeping our mouths shut seems like the only absolute way in which these prohibitionists are guaranteed to succeed. While I can and do respect the reasons that many folks wish to remain out of sight and out of mind, that doesn't mean we should not support the folks that are on the frontlines fighting this battle each and every day. Being passive on this issue will surely let that wall (you fear) be built.

I agree with you on one thing though, that the courts will most definitely be the ones defining alot of the "grey areas". Like I stated in another post, questions about what is a plant, at what point does it become usable material, and what is a reasonable quantity to ensure an uninterupted supply.

I just think it is far better to be proactive on this one, and do our best to educate and erradicate the misinformation that is out there.

Couldn't agree more. What is a plant? Ask a botanist like Frank W. Telewski from MSU, Professor, Curator of The Beal Botanical Gardens, Ph.D. Wake Forest University. He explained it to a jury in Kalkaska County and they respected his opinion. This community needs to define most of these provisions, it's our law to defend. This was written to provide as big an umbrella as possible against the rain of prosecution. Hence the language "registerd and unregistered patients." and "uninterrupted supply". Not "12 plants that produce exactly enough supply to assure possession of no more than 2.5 ozs of usable material at any one time." Good luck getting anyone to buy that. So stop telling the opposition they are correct about the myriad of holes in this law, they will be more than happy to fix them for you as they see fit. If they do, remember, they can honestly say this community cried out for it.

the constitution dose not exist anymore. You Do not have the right to say what you want. You do not have the right to live life with the pursuit of happiness. Please people Stop voting for the left side or the right side. Vote for someone who is actually going to make a change other then the Racial color of presidential standings.

Archived