Fibromyalgia: Help !

jinx

15 years ago I was in an auto accident then left me pretty mangled. I was in the ICU for almost 2 weeks because of compartment syndrome complications I was having. A new surgery every couple of days was the norm to try and get me to heal up right. All together from the accident and multitude of surgeries I have nerve damage from my toes to my hip. The worst part of it for me is the spasms and lack of muscle control.

Before MMJ I couldn’t leave home without a cane to walk with. It wasn’t because I needed the cane to walk so much as the reduced strain on my leg that would generally keep me from getting muscle cramps and spasms. I am a young guy and there isn’t to much more embarrassing then falling down and crying in public. Imagine clenching your calph muscle as hard as you possible can and not being able to stop. The pain is so severe its crippling to the point where I can't physically move any part of my body.

MMJ allows me to go places without always needing a cane. It allows me to work at a job where I need to stand for more than 10 minutes. I use roughly 25-50% the pain medication I used prior to my MMJ regiment. My favorite is the ability it seems to have stopping the spasms from happening all together. If I know I am going to be active I smoke prior and it will dramatically reduce my rate of muscle cramps and spasms.

MMJ does not help me with severe pain. It is relief but the doses I would need wouldn’t be compatible for a workplace environment. I also have circulation problems from the compartment syndrome + chunks of my leg are actually missing so I know blood is not flowing normally. MMJ can exacerbate the circulation problems and actually cause me restless leg syndrome along with mild aches and stiffness if I smoke a lot. I find the problem to be more prevalent in the lower quality meds because I have to smoke more. With true medicinal quality marijuana I don’t face the situation very often because relief is often reached before the onset of symptoms.

Hope this helps

15 years ago I was in an auto accident then left me pretty mangled. I was in the ICU for almost 2 weeks because of compartment syndrome complications I was having. A new surgery every couple of days was the norm to try and get me to heal up right. All together from the accident and multitude of surgeries I have nerve damage from my toes to my hip. The worst part of it for me is the spasms and lack of muscle control.

Before MMJ I couldn’t leave home without a cane to walk with. It wasn’t because I needed the cane to walk so much as the reduced strain on my leg that would generally keep me from getting muscle cramps and spasms. I am a young guy and there isn’t to much more embarrassing then falling down and crying in public. Imagine clenching your calph muscle as hard as you possible can and not being able to stop. The pain is so severe its crippling to the point where I can't physically move any part of my body.

MMJ allows me to go places without always needing a cane. It allows me to work at a job where I need to stand for more than 10 minutes. I use roughly 25-50% the pain medication I used prior to my MMJ regiment. My favorite is the ability it seems to have stopping the spasms from happening all together. If I know I am going to be active I smoke prior and it will dramatically reduce my rate of muscle cramps and spasms.

MMJ does not help me with severe pain. It is relief but the doses I would need wouldn’t be compatible for a workplace environment. I also have circulation problems from the compartment syndrome + chunks of my leg are actually missing so I know blood is not flowing normally. MMJ can exacerbate the circulation problems and actually cause me restless leg syndrome along with mild aches and stiffness if I smoke a lot. I find the problem to be more prevalent in the lower quality meds because I have to smoke more. With true medicinal quality marijuana I don’t face the situation very often because relief is often reached before the onset of symptoms.

Hope this helps

any thanks for your input. Your responsible use of MMJ speaks highly of the MMJ-using public. Rarely do I see a posting from someone with pain who smokes to get high. They smoke to get through !!! Has your condition been diagnosed as "fibromyalgia" ?

Dr. Jinx

I'm a mid-aged male and have had severe Fibromyalgia for years. My neck and back muscles contract so hard that they actually pop my spine out of place. A old spinal fracture and two bad discs just make things worse.

I was blessed with great insurance for a while but numerous top doctors only managed to physically torture me with different prodcedures and 160mg of oxycontin per day.

Wet heat, stretching and a Select Comfort bed help but I have made amazing progress using another technique. Sharing this in public is odd because it sounds a little nuts, but here goes.

Relax in a hot bath, get as absolutely medicated on heavy indica as you can without going to sleep and have someone do "deep tissue, trigger point massage" directly on the knotted muscles. It hurts like hell, but if you can hold still, they eventually they give. If you can get the knots to release at the ends (usually right where it connects to a bone) they usually go away.

My girlfriend and I have been working steady on this for about a year now. While I still have a few knots and some pain, for the first time in my life I feel like I may be able to recover fully. My life has improved tremendously.

Unfortunately, I have no idea whether or not this will work for anyone else. However, since it's been the only thing that's worked for me, I wanted to share.

Good luck!

Archived