What Type Of Glaucoma Responds Well To Mm And What Does It Doe For It?

Sickpup

What type of Glaucoma responds well to MM and what does it doe for it? The VA is gonna finalize my diagnosis in 8 weeks before starting me on the drops.They got it real early thanks to their excellent ophthalmology clinic. They said to me at initial finding my pressure was good (14) with 7-21 normal ,and its not closed angle type.They got three types of drops to start with then laser surgery if they don't respond. My question is would MM help any in this situation.If so does anyone know how it would help.I'm also wondering if I got a good case to get Marinol from them.That would cover me on any and all drug screens for jobs, since this seems to be up in the air atm.

Well as a short reply. I would tell yyou to stick to the conventional meds IE. the drops. They will provide you with a measurable responce as opposed to MM. MM only 'seems' to help if used chronicly. As to say that the side effect of consuming that much MM would keep you as part of the couch more that a moving human being. But as 'cover' for a urine test..........it sounds like a plan. Remember just because you have a reason to use MM does not provide the right to engage in activities that would endanger others IE. driving a car, practicing Law or Medicine...etc.

God luck to ya!

I thought I had replied to this.

There is a reason glaucoma is one of the conditions listed under the MMMA. Glaucoma usually is caused by excessive occular pressure and marijuana dilates the blood vessels in the eyes, reducing the pressure (That's also why they turn red!)

As far as I know marijuana can be used along with traditional glaucoma treatments. Perhaps you should ask your doctor? There is a good chance he/she will agree it is worth a try. Then you will usually have to go to the "Pot Doc" to get your certification.

I think I am obligated to chime in on this one ...lol I was seeing an eye Dr in Vegas when they legalized my pressure was in the high 20's on the drops . I asked him for a recommendation and he said no. So I went to the pot Dr. in Vegas and became legal before I started using. My pressure dropped to the low teens. The Dr who denied me was sooo amazed that my pressure was way down. I was so delighted to tell him why and that I was leaving him due to his narrow mindedness.

I dont have a pressure device at home so I dont know if one strain works better than another. They all seem to help in my case.

Take the drops and MM. I have had glaucoma in 1 eye for years now. It helps with the pressure. The VA doc couldn't believe the difference when i told him about useing MM. But he didn't want to hear anything about it or how it worked. I just know i always smoked on the way to the eye clinic and things were fine. I didn't smoke on one trip and he said my pressure was 3 times it was the last time he had seen me. Again i said something and all he said was he didn't wont to hear about it. Yes you can take the drops and be medicated. But i would still tell the doc that you use MM to make sure of no side effects. Good luck on the Marinal. I've been trying for years to get it. The VA just has a problem with the drug,most of the doctors would write the script but they can't talk about it.

I'm in ann arbor VA system.there's a criteria they use for marinol.Hell since the 60's states grew MM for glaucoma .Not much publicity about it since it was only for glaucoma patients.I'll see if I can find the VA criteria, just the links on the formulary are/have been not working, and to top it off their search engine sucks.

Back in the day the Feds had a "compassionate Use" Excemption for a few folks. I think at its peak it had less than 25 Patients. These near dead folks were given MM to smoke or do whatever they wanted to do with it. It was grown somewhere in the South. George Bush (Senior) ended the program caus he was and is a rectal sphintcer(donkey hole). You know....the evil weed mentality.

So because the VA is a Federal Program & the drug is Scheduel 1 the docs can not risk their 'creds'. Remember on a federal level MM is up there with LSD, Herion, Hash, Methaqualon, Cocaine, and a few other un-mentionables..... Harrison Narcotic Act... My bunny muffin hurts just thinkin' about it!

I was diagnosed with glaucoma in June and had the laser surgery in July and my pressures are great as determined in early Sept. I will take the laser over the drops. Plus add MMJ as insurance.

Dr. Jinx

It sounds like you have a execlent plan in place. Good luck with it..If I can help ya in any way drop me a line.

RnJoe@msn.com

I found the VA criteria for Marinol

Marinol (Dronabinol)

Prior Authorization Criteria

(Draft)

Marinol will be authorized only for:

1. The treatment of anorexia associated with weight loss in patients with acquired

immune deficiency syndrome (AIDS) or cancer and unresponsive to megestrol.

2. The prophylaxis of chemotherapy-induced nausea and vomiting unresponsive to

ondansetron and promethazine.

3. For patients over the age of 18 and under the age of 65.

Archived