Could I Qualify As A Patient?

So here is my story. When I was very young (elementary school years) I fell about 15 feet from the climbing rope in gym class, flat on my back, on to a 1-inch gym mat. My parents didn't sue the school (it was the instructor's fault, but that is a long story that isn't relevant) and we didn't seek medical attention at the time because I hadn't complained of anything more than it was a bit sore.

Flash forward many years, I still have recurring back pain in the same spot year after year after year. Medical doctors only offered pain medication that was more potent than ibuprofen or other OTC anti-inflammatory. I have always declined after seeing a few friends get hooked on Vicodin or Percocet and dealt with the pain. I have seen a few chiropractors, my current one is able to give me the longest times between pain free days. About 4-7 days after an adjustment, the pain returns. No insurance I've ever been able to afford covers chiropractic, and now I am without insurance, so I only go when the pain is unbearable even with OTC meds.

On and off for the last few years I have smoked marijuana and found that smoking a little bit (1/2 a joint of moderate quality) is enough to take the pain away for several hours at a time. When my back hurts too much to sleep, a quick toke allows me to fall asleep for up to 6 hours at a time (instead of 2 hours). Even better, it helps me manage my depression (which a clinic gave me Rx meds for which made things worse, then they upped the dose, so I stopped). My last ailment is arthritis in my hands that hasn't gone away with any treatment but smoking takes away the pain and feeling of stiffness where OTC meds will just take away the pain.

Sorry for the long story, but the way the law is written is rather vague. Other than my chiropractic visits with my current chiropractor (whom I haven't discussed my self-medication with MJ), I have nearly no medical history documented regarding my chronic pain since I refused pharmaceutical medication. Since I have not been able to afford decent insurance in about 8 years, I do not have a primary physician.

What can I do? I would like to legally use MMJ with a patient card as it is the most cost-effective and physically effective medication that is available to me.

Sounds like a good reason to have MM clinics.

You have a convincing arguement for a card. It would help you to get together some documentation. There should be records of previous visits to doctors and chiropractors that you can get copies of. If not you may want to stop by a free clinic a couple of times to build a history.

I called one place today that was recommended by another member. They refused chiropractic records and required my last 6 months of MD records. I don't have any MD records for the last 6 years. So I'm sort of stuck unless I can find a primary care physician that prescribes heavy duty pain killers (which I really don't even want) or another clinic that deals with MMJ patient recommendations.

Archived