Oppose Michele Leonhart To Head Dea

As you may know, during the 2008 campaign candidate Obama led voters to believe that if elected his administration would not target medical marijuana users. Did he keep his promise?

September 13, 2010. "Federal raids on state-legal medical marijuana entities have continued under the Obama administration, despite repeated assurances that they would end."

http://www.enewspf.com/index.php/latest-news/analysis/18615-under-obama-raids-on-state-legal-medical-marijuana-entities-continue-but-officials-stay-mum

-----------------------------------

Another sign of his bad intentions is the nomination of the very person who has led DEA raids against the sick and dying MMJ users in California and other places.

Obama Nominates Drug Warrior Michele Leonhart to Head DEA -- Reformers Gird for Battle

The Obama administration announced this week that it is nominating acting DEA Administrator Michele Leonhart to head the agency. Drug reformers responded with a collective groan and are preparing to challenge -- or at least question -- her nomination when it goes before the Senate Judiciary Committee for confirmation.

http://stopthedrugwar.org/chronicle/2010/jan/29/feature_obama_nominates_drug_war

The article goes on to describe some of Leonhart's very sick and twisted activities comparable to, or worse than, those of Oakland County's dastardly duo of Bouchard and Cooper.

I recently wrote to Senator Stabenow asking her to oppose this appointment. Today I got a response which I'm including below along with her email address. I'm asking everyone to flood her inbox with emails opposing this appointment.

Thanks,

---------------------------

Dear XXXXXX,

Thank you for contacting me about the nomination of Michele Leonhart. I understand your concerns about her position on medical marijuana.

As you know, President Obama nominated Ms. Leonhart for the position of Drug Enforcement Administration Administrator. The Senate is charged by the Constitution with an "advice and consent" role in the appointment process, which ensures that all nominations made by the President are thoroughly reviewed. I take this Constitutional mandate very seriously, as do my colleagues. Ms. Leonhart's nomination is currently pending before the Senate. Should her nomination come before me for a vote, I will be sure to keep your strong views in mind.

Thank you again for contacting me about this issue. Please feel free to do so again if I can be of assistance to you or your family.

Sincerely,

Debbie Stabenow

United States Senator

email:

senator@stabenow.senate.gov

---------

Here is a sample letter. When sending you may need to include your name, address and email address.

----------------------------

Dear Senator Stabenow,

I urge you to vote 'no' regarding the nomination of Michele Leonhart to direct the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration.

As interim director, Ms. Leonhart has obstructed efforts to end the destructive conflict between federal and state medical marijuana laws while overseeing federal raids and arrests in disregard of state law - contrary to the present policy of this administration.

Furthermore, Ms. Leonhart has blocked scientific research on medical marijuana, in disregard of this administration's pledge to let science, rather than ideology, guide public policy.

In particular, Ms. Leonhart has neglected to reply to an eight-year old petition to reschedule marijuana for medical use, as called for by the AMA and a growing number of states and federal judges.

She has further denied the application of the University of Massachusetts to establish a research facility for FDA development of marijuana, overruling the recommendation of the DEA's own administrative law judge that this was not in the public interest.

Ms. Leonhart has incomprehensibly called the rising death toll of civilians attributable to the U.S./Mexican drug war "a signpost of the success" of her agency's policies.

Ms. Leonhart's actions appear to be incompatible with the public interest and the stated policies of this administration. I urge you to vote 'no' on her nomination.

Thank you,

insert your name here.

I recently wrote to Senator Stabenow asking her to oppose this appointment. Today I got a response which I'm including below along with her email address. I'm asking everyone to flood her inbox with emails opposing this appointment.

I also wrote to Carl Levin, but I didn't get a response. It would be good to send the same email to him. You can contact him through his website:

http://levin.senate.gov/contact/

This is what you will get from Stabenow. This is her response to my email on this topic:

United States Senator Debbie Stabenow - Michigan

October 1, 2010

Dear Robert,

Thank you for contacting me about the nomination of Michele Leonhart. I understand your concerns about her position on medical marijuana.

As you know, President Obama nominated Ms. Leonhart for the position of Drug Enforcement Administration Administrator. The Senate is charged by the Constitution with an "advice and consent" role in the appointment process, which ensures that all nominations made by the President are thoroughly reviewed. I take this Constitutional mandate very seriously, as do my colleagues. Ms. Leonhart's nomination is currently pending before the Senate. Should her nomination come before me for a vote, I will be sure to keep your strong views in mind.

Thank you again for contacting me about this issue. Please feel free to do so again if I can be of assistance to you or your family.

Sincerely,

Debbie Stabenow

United States Senator

Archived