Prohibition

Nameless_Hero

If you don't know who these people are, look them up.

"Prohibition will work great injury to the cause of temperance. It is a species of intemperance within itself, for it goes beyond the bounds of reason in that it attempts to control a man's appetite by legislation, and makes a crime out of things that are not crimes. A Prohibition law strikes a blow at the very principles upon which our government was founded." - Abe Lincoln

But the worst handicap we had the prohibition of naming individual units who had done the fighting.

Philip Gibbs

Drug prohibition has caused gang warfare and other violent crimes by raising the prices of drugs so much that vicious criminals enter the market to make astronomical profits, and addicts rob and steal to get money to pay the inflated prices for their drugs.

Michael Badnarik

Even if one takes every reefer madness allegation of the prohibitionists at face value, marijuana prohibition has done far more harm to far more people than marijuana ever could.

William F. Buckley, Jr.

For every prohibition you create you also create an underground.

Jello Biafra

I knew that the Hague Convention prohibited the use of poison in war. I didn't know the details of the terms of the Convention, but I did know of that prohibition.

Otto Hahn

If you should see any Indians you will oblige me by repeating this prohibition to them.

Benjamin Hawkins

In early January I introduced my legislation, which, besides prohibiting Federal funding of human cloning, also expresses the sense of Congress that foreign nations should establish total prohibition on human cloning as well.

Cliff Stearns

Instead of giving money to found colleges to promote learning, why don't they pass a constitutional amendment prohibiting anybody from learning anything? If it works as good as the Prohibition one did, why, in five years we would have the smartest race of people on earth.

Will Rogers

It is not classified as a pagan religion. The so-called New Age activities and this are not called religions and therefore don't come under the prohibition of mingling church and state that we have in this country.

Dixie Lee Ray

Liquor prohibition led to the rise of organized crime in America, and drug prohibition has led to the rise of the gang problems we have now.

Drew Carey

Once, during Prohibition, I was forced to live for days on nothing but food and water.

W. C. Fields

Prohibition has made nothing but trouble.

Al Capone

Prohibition is better than no liquor at all.

Will Rogers

Prohibition makes you want to cry into your beer and denies you the beer to cry into.

Don Marquis

Prohibition was introduced as a fraud; it has been nursed as a fraud.

Roger Q. Mills

Regardless of what one's attitude towards prohibition may be, temperance is something against which, at a time of war, no reasonable protest can be made.

William Lyon Mackenzie King

There are criminals who are drug users, but most addicts are criminals only by virtue of prohibition or from resorting to crime to pay inflated black market prices.

Danny Sugerman

We find many things to which the prohibition of them constitutes the only temptation.

William Hazlitt

We have seen the evil of the manufacture and sale of intoxicating liquors in our midst; let us try prohibition and see what this will do for us.

Thomas Jordan Jarvis

Why don't they pass a constitutional amendment prohibiting anybody from learning anything? If it works as well as prohibition did, in five years Americans would be the smartest race of people on Earth.

Will Rogers

Archived