Collective/ Comp Club

baad1722

Ok so i cant seem to find an answer in any other forums. So i figured maybe legal professionals could help. I would like to know what is the difference between a collective and a compassionate club. If noone can answer that maybe someone has the number to an experienced mmj attorney

A compassion club can be a name for many things - some clubs only do public forums - no cardholder meetings, some clubs are complete - they teach patients to grow, and offer space for them to do it! Some clubs are just a cover for a dispensary - the club is really a cash register and offers nothing else.

Your collective can be designed to be non-profit, and perhaps that makes it a compassion club.

Any club, or collective is about working together, and it depends how you operate and if the club profits from the grow, or just club fees.

Work on a business plan, and get that approved by a lawyer, don't worry about defining it.

-DN

OK, here's my understanding of the nomenclature. Please feel free to correct or supplement me:

1. Dispensaries: Storefront shops usually with local approval that sell a variety of marijuana to MM customers. The legality is a hot question right now and dispensaries in Oakland County were recently raided.

2. Farmer's Markets: In a variety of private events and some compassion clubs (David Leyton :D ) patients and caregivers meet to trade and purchase product and clones, often medicating openly. These are allowed in certain counties where law enforcement and the prosecutor's office and local government agree to allow them and may very well be allowed under the MMMA subject to local zoning regulations- unless the new Republican legislature prohibits them.

3. Co-Ops: Arrangements where multiple caregivers and/or groups of patients share in the cost and often maintenance of communal gardens. Again, a hot topic on the legality.

4. Compassion Clubs: Are local organizations of medical marijuana patients and caregivers that meet in public for public service or outreach and privately to facilitate "relationships" between patients and various caregivers. Compassion Clubs may be tied into dispensaries, co-ops, organized farmer's markets or all of the above- or none of the above.

Archived