"the Michigan Supreme Court Reversed Itself ... Again"

Got Defense?

"Public Defense," that is.

If you now have, or you ever have had, or you know someone else who has, or - just in case - you may ever feel the need to understandand a bit more about the way the system operates in regards to the concept of, "Court Appointed Attorney" ... this will be of interest and concern to you.

http://www.freep.com/article/20101202/NEWS06/12020447/1008/High-court-reinstates-suit-about-public-defenders

This article was found here:

http://courts.michigan.gov/supremecourt/Press/StateNews.htm

And, here's another view:

http://michiganmessenger.com/44326/public-defender-lawsuit-can-go-forward-after-all

Be Informed.

FREE The CURE!

HARVEST The HEALING

A noteworthy excerpt from the Michigan Messenger article:

"In the latest twist in the truly bizarre history of an important lawsuit, the Michigan Supreme Court has now reversed its reversal of a previous ruling allowing a legal challenge to the state’s woefully inadequate indigent defense system to move forward."

(So, you mean "the court system" isn't perfect after all?! Wow! Who'd of thunk it!?)

And, then there's this:

"A 2009 report by the National Legal Aid and Defender Association in cooperation with the State Bar of Michigan issued a damning indictment of Michigan’s indigent defense system. That report notes that Michigan ranks 44th out of 50 states in spending for public defenders and contrasts that with the fact that the state is among the nation’s leaders in spending on its correctional system.

What's up with that?

The ACLU says:

Michael Steinberg, legal director for the ACLU of Michigan, welcomed the opportunity to prove in court that Michigan’s indigent defense system is so poor that it violates the Sixth Amendment.

“The unanimous Supreme Court was correct in April and is correct again today,” Steinberg said. “It is widely accepted that Michigan’s criminal justice system is broken for poor people accused of crimes. When the indigent defense system is broken, everyone suffers. Innocent men and women end up in prison while the perpetrators are left on the streets to commit more crimes.”

Go ACLU!

FREE The PEOPLE - from Their Prisoners.

Be FREE!

(To Be FEE!)

SHARE The HEALING

A noteworthy excerpt from the Michigan Messenger article:

"In the latest twist in the truly bizarre history of an important lawsuit, the Michigan Supreme Court has now reversed its reversal of a previous ruling allowing a legal challenge to the state’s woefully inadequate indigent defense system to move forward."

(So, you mean "the court system" isn't perfect after all?! Wow! Who'd of thunk it!?)

And, then there's this:

"A 2009 report by the National Legal Aid and Defender Association in cooperation with the State Bar of Michigan issued a damning indictment of Michigan’s indigent defense system. That report notes that Michigan ranks 44th out of 50 states in spending for public defenders and contrasts that with the fact that the state is among the nation’s leaders in spending on its correctional system.

What's up with that?

The ACLU says:

Michael Steinberg, legal director for the ACLU of Michigan, welcomed the opportunity to prove in court that Michigan’s indigent defense system is so poor that it violates the Sixth Amendment.

“The unanimous Supreme Court was correct in April and is correct again today,” Steinberg said. “It is widely accepted that Michigan’s criminal justice system is broken for poor people accused of crimes. When the indigent defense system is broken, everyone suffers. Innocent men and women end up in prison while the perpetrators are left on the streets to commit more crimes.”

Go ACLU!

FREE The PEOPLE - from Their Prisoners.

Be FREE!

(To Be FEE!)

SHARE The HEALING

Free this is news to you?

I guess you havent had to go thru the system and use their court appointed attny"s Unfortunatly I have, You left out one thing, like i been saying, I dont care who paid the attny he works for me! He or she is goiing to do what I tell them to do or there will be a mistrial called! The only (lol) dif between a court appted attny and a paid by you attny is when the PA says this is what we are charging so and so with, a public defender says ok, and a paid by me attny says no how about this, or lets just go to trial, a jury trial! I have told my public attn to go back and tell pa this, they look at me like im nuts,, I say go tell them this or I want a jury trial!; peoriod,,you would be surprised what you get when you grow some kahonies! (a figure of speach)

Peace

FTW

Jim

I guess you havent had to go thru the system and use their court appointed attny"s Unfortunatly I have, You left out one thing, like i been saying, I dont care who paid the attny he works for me! He or she is goiing to do what I tell them to do or there will be a mistrial called! The only (lol) dif between a court appted attny and a paid by you attny is when the PA says this is what we are charging so and so with, a public defender says ok, and a paid by me attny says no how about this, or lets just go to trial, a jury trial! I have told my public attn to go back and tell pa this, they look at me like im nuts,, I say go tell them this or I want a jury trial!; peoriod,,you would be surprised what you get when you grow some kahonies! (a figure of speach)

Peace

FTW

Jim

Public defenders in Michigan shouldn't be allowed to defend someone without at least five years of trial experience under their belt. To put someones freedom in the hands of an attorney with little or know court room exposure or trial experience is very dangerous for the accused.

I guess you havent had to go thru the system and use their court appointed attny"s Unfortunatly I have ...

Peace

FTW

Jim

Jim, Some news just bears repeating.

To be sure, just between you and me and ... well, whoever else might be payin' any attention, if I had a day's meds to share with you for every time I was administered by a "Court Appointed Attorney" ... we'd both be sitting fairly comfortably, pain-free, for quite awhile!

"My First Time" was way back in the seventies - The early '70s.

The system sure doesn't seem to have "improved" any, with age; But, hopefully, I have "matured" a little ... well, at least a wee-bit, anyhow.

; ]

Cheers to living and learning!

May we all be Healthy and FREE!

FREE The TREE!

SHARE The CURE

HARVEST The HEALING

Public defenders in Michigan shouldn't be allowed to defend someone without at least five years of trial experience under their belt. To put someones freedom in the hands of an attorney with little or know court room exposure or trial experience is very dangerous for the accused.

A lawyer fresh out of school and fresh off the bar exam is very knowledgeable. They are also willing to work for next to nothing, which is all the state pays, and willing to put in the time to win their case. Many experienced lawyers do what they have to and nothing more for the money the state pays them or will not ever participate in the program.

Archived