Some Quick Math...

I was pleasantly surprised to see such a quick update from MDCH on the current state of the numbers involved in the Michigan Medical Marihuana Program. For awhile it seemed as if an update was done on the website every month or 2, however this past couple of weeks have seen 2 updates within 9 days. These quick updates allow for taking a closer look at a smaller sampling of the numbers. So here we go.

Program Statistics (11/24 - 12/3):

• 1,978 original and renewal applications received.
  • 1,092 patient registrations issued.
  • 257 applications denied.

It is hard to tell if the 629 applications not accounted for in these numbers are the number of renewals approved, or if they were added to the "backlog". I would guess they are renewals, but it is hard to have confidence in that, as we have all seen the inefficiency of the department.

Still no update on the number of caregivers registered with the state, at first I believed the lack of an accurate number of caregivers might be due to the possible number of change forms that may flow in. However, that should be easy enough to account for by simply stating the number of cards issued to unique applicants (i.e. even if a caregiver has 5 patients, that caregiver is only counted once), and then a separate line stating the total number of change of caregivers applied for. I am beginning to believe the reason for not providing any numbers is a more politically motivated move. It allows for prohibitionists to pretend there is an ungodly number of caregivers in the state, and that the army of caregivers will be taking over every town and county. I find it hard to believe that they are not able to track the number of caregiver cards that have been issued, as they are supposed to be tracking whether a caregiver exceeds their 5 patient max... very telling indeed.

Any thoughts?

I think the problem may be most care givers have more than one patient. When they use to give how many caregivers there were they put a disclaimer that it was not an accurate number because of the fact many caregivers have more that one patient. So the number represented how many patients had care givers instead of how many caregivers there were.

I think the problem may be most care givers have more than one patient. When they use to give how many caregivers there were they put a disclaimer that it was not an accurate number because of the fact many caregivers have more that one patient. So the number represented how many patients had care givers instead of how many caregivers there were.

Oh I understand that part of it, but as I suggest there is a quite easy way to eliminate that problem. Even if a caregiver has more than one patient, you only count the caregiver one time. It should be an easy enough filter to construct for any database query, especially since they have very specific information on each and every caregiver they issue a card to.

Thanks for the reply. As I suggested, they are supposed to be tracking the number of patients registered to a caregiver anyways, to keep compliant with the law, and that information should help in counting the number of caregivers, not make it more difficult.

it does not seem like they are hiding, just getting caught up:

"44,384 patient registrations issued.

The number of caregivers will be posted as soon as an accurate number can be obtained.

"

81,445 original and renewal applications received since April 6, 2009.

nice number! since they lumped renewals in the count, you cannot subtract 44,384 from 81,445. (and its 'received, not accepted' numbers)

I am sure there are more patients than CGs, as thats what I find when out there...

-DN

Hehe, just thought about it, I should actually include the numbers that I used, as posted by MDCH:

Program Status Update (11/24/2010): Application Forms and Instructions are available for printing from this website.

Program Statistics:

79,467 original and renewal applications received since April 6, 2009.

43,292 patient registrations issued.

The number of caregivers will be posted as soon as an accurate number can be obtained.

9,102 applications denied -- most due to incomplete application or missing documentation.

Program Status Update (12/3/2010): Application Forms and Instructions are available for printing from this website.

Currently staff is issuing registry identification cards for valid applications received at the end of August.

Program Statistics:

81,445 original and renewal applications received since April 6, 2009.

44,384 patient registrations issued.

9,359 applications denied -- most due to incomplete application or missing documentation.

it does not seem like they are hiding, just getting caught up:

I am sure there are more patients than CGs, as thats what I find when out there...

-DN

Indeed there are more patients than CGs, as we all know of at least one person that doesn't have a caregiver, or a caregiver that is helping their max 5 registered patients. There always will be more patients than CGs, yet the propagandists and prohibitionists will continue to act like CGs are outnumbering patients, as it plays into their script of CGs being nothing more than drug dealers. Know what I mean?

It is just strange that after all of these months now, it is the same old tired line, they are unable (or unwilling) to provide an accurate number of caregivers registered (even if it requires a simple disclaimer).

Archived