Florecent Vs Mh Lights (400W)

DolomitesDelight

I've got a 3' X 5' space and was wondering if this would be a good set up: I have a utility closet and I'm thinking about lighting. If I put in a 450W florescent set up that uses 102-watts of power, will that be a better idea than a switchable 400W MH/HPS all-in-one? The reason I ask is because I already have a 1000W air-cooled hood and set up for flowering, so is it a better idea to use 450W cheap florescent set up for veg and 1000W HPS for flower or just a switchable 400W all-in-one set up? I only have that limited space and there will be a furnace in the same room, so I can't have separate veg/flower rooms. Any responses are welcomed and appreciated, thanks!

PS - also given the space, would 1000W HPS for flower be overkill for a 3 X 5, especially after only 450W florescent? any idea on it's affects versus a constant 400W MH/HPS switchable?

You could go either way and get good results. I personally go from floro's for clones to 1000w MH for veg. Ive experienced better more vigorous growth using the MH. I usually dim it to 50% for the first few days and then go full blast. 1000w HPS is not overkill. Sounds like you have a good handle on your setup.

But you don't think it would get too hot with that much light? There will be a furnace that manages the central air for the apartment in the same utility closet so I'm just afraid I won't have enough ventilation, that's my biggest concern besides the spacing issue. Thanks for the feedback though!

You could go either way and get good results. I personally go from floro's for clones to 1000w MH for veg. Ive experienced better more vigorous growth using the MH. I usually dim it to 50% for the first few days and then go full blast. 1000w HPS is not overkill. Sounds like you have a good handle on your setup.

Gotcha, air/ventilation is the stuff I have to brush up on a little more, but then I guess 1000W will be the way to go. Switching between a MH and HPS bulb will just make nice neighboring nodes rather than the florescent idea correct? Ultimately resulting in denser buds? I'd like to go for that anyways since I don't plan to top them very much, I need them kind of short.

You would obviously have to air cool the hood.

It will get smoking hot in there literely. I put a 400HPS in a closet smaller than that it will get 110 plus in there with not ventilation. With venting it stays in the mid 80's if the room is warm. Just make sure you vent it good. I have a 4" inline fan with carbon filter venting out the back of the cabinet and up. I cut a hole to vent fresh air in. It works ok but it temperary. Just make sure you vent it and put a fan it you should be OK. good luck and just for the record I have grown lowryder plants to harvest under 4 CFL's and it is totally smokable. Long time smoker friends have tried it and love it. just had a patient friend text asking if I had some more of it LOL people laugh at the little auto's but they ain't bad :thumbsu: You just gotta put some love into them

I dont know if you have the set up finished and or items bought yet, but NextGen has a digital ballast that is switchable from 400w and 600W. I use that in my veg/backup flower room and run a 400W MH during Veg and if my flower rooms get backed up I throw in a 600W HPS bulb and start flowering under the same hood and only have to change out bulb. Air cooling is a must though for your size op under any and all circumstances of all your other efforts are for naught.

Archived