Chronic Pain And Suicide Risk

fyi;

http://nationalpainfoundation.org/articles/290/chronic-pain-and-suicide-risk

People with chronic pain other than arthritis are four times more likely to have attempted suicide than other adults, according to the results of a recent study out of the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor. Further, researchers found that pain in the head or in several different areas of the body is an indicator for suicidal tendencies. People with severe headaches are twice as likely to have thought about or attempted suicide.

Although the majority of people with chronic pain do not develop suicidal tendencies, 14% of respondents with three or more painful conditions said they had thought about suicide and almost 6% reported an actual suicide attempt. Nearly 8% of people with frequent or severe headaches had thought about killing themselves. This is four times the rate found among adults with no chronic head pain.

Since my injury I have dealt with a great deal of depression (see the "about me" section in my profile). The doctors gave me pills for it. Lexapro , Paxil , Effexor , Cymbalta, Zoloft , Abilify (Don't ever take Abilify) and more. I tried them all. None of them worked, and along with the opiate pain killers they were making things even worse. I even wound up in the emergency room for the side effects of Abilify.

After awhile I would up in a mental hospital zombified on mood altering medication, I wont go into details as to how it got there but suffice it to say I am posting here on this thread. (2+2=4)

I am lucky in that I have a doctor who does listen to me, and cares about how I feel. We stopped all use of those nasty drugs and got me in therapy, and it helped but after awhile I could only go about once a month, because at the time I had physical therapy and work 5 days a week.

I guess my point is that not only has MMJ helped me enjoy my life more by dulling the pain. It had a very pleasant side effect of curing my depression. It is now the only presciption medicine i take. Make no mistake people (LEO) this medicine saves lives.

Archived