1000 Feet

hey everyone,I wonder how many crack houses,bars,pharmacy's ect these kids pass on their way to and from school???Wow is all i can say..... :unsure:

"They're just blatantly pushing the law as far as they can and what are we telling kids? It's OK to leave school and smoke marijuana? Absolutely not," said Lt. Patrick Richard, commander of the state police post in Ionia.

"I have an issue with the way the law is written," Richard said.

Law vs Law: medical pot and schools

Ionia shop within 1000 feet of high school

Updated: Friday, 22 Apr 2011, 6:15 PM EDT

Published : Friday, 22 Apr 2011, 4:48 PM EDT

* By Ken Kolker

IONIA, Mich. (WOOD) - Marijuana is being sold within 1,000 feet of Ionia High School, in a drug-free zone, but police say there's nothing they can do about it.

That's because the newly opened Great Lakes Holistic sells it legally under Michigan's medical marijuana law.

"They're just blatantly pushing the law as far as they can and what are we telling kids? It's OK to leave school and smoke marijuana? Absolutely not," said Lt. Patrick Richard, commander of the state police post in Ionia.

The issue pits two state laws against each other -- one that sets the 1,000-foot drug-free zone around schools; the other, approved by voters, that makes medical marijuana legal.

"I have an issue with the way the law is written," Richard said.

It's no accident that Great Lakes Holistic, on M-66, opened to the public on April 20 -- a counter-culture holiday celebrating marijuana.

"4-20. Imagine that," Richard said.

They legally sell marijuana to smoke, as well as marijuana-laced products -- brownies, Rice Krispie treats, root beer candy. But, they say, they don't use it there.

"I'm glad it's here," said medical marijuana card holder Burl Quick, who checked out the shop on Friday. "Yeah. I don't know if I'll use it, but it looks like they've got everything everybody would need."

Already, the shop has caused quite a buzz in Ionia. State police say neighbors have complained about its proximity to the school.

"As soon as we saw the sign go up, we started investigating," Richard said.

The club's operators say they knew nothing about the complaints. "You're actually the first one I've heard that from," Todd Prior, who helps operates the club, told 24 Hour News 8.

He says the move to the old home was stricltly a business decision. They also operate a shop in the mid-Michigan city of St. Louis.

"West Michigan is very under-served," Prior said. "We felt the Ionia area was centrally located."

And, if the 1000-foot rule applies to them, they argue, it should also apply to drug stores.

"There's a Walgreen's right next to us," Prior said. "So, if we were under that obligation, I would think they would be."

The club's operators say they don't cater to kids. It's a members-only whose customers must have a medical marijuana card, approved by a doctor and the state.

That's not good enough for state police, who are working with the county prosecutor and sheriff.

"Unfortunately, it's going to take a change in the law and I think that's as far as we can go with it right now," said Richard, the Ionia post commander.

State Sen. Rick Jones, head of the Senate Judiciary Committee, said a task force in Lansing is studying changes in the medical marijuana law.

"Dispensaries for marijuana should be nowhere near a school or church," he said.

Why may I ask would you push your luck, especially when we know feds raid dispensary's. Every ordinance pushes the 1000 rule, why get them worked up, stupid and asking for it!

i agree I myself would not set up shop there in the 1000 foot zone,i guess would it be an issue if it was 1005 feet?And I was more disturbed by the trooper automatically associating the collective to selling to kids after school and he just don't like the mmj law.If it was a liquor store would it be an issue?Would the kids go get alcohol from the liquor store and get drunk?The Article didn't say how much into the 1000 feet they are either .Anyway just thought i would post the article.and if i was the owner of the collective, i guess i would relocate if it would meant being left alone by leo..but will they leave them alone if they did move?

I agree with you, just don't know why they would want to be a target. They will not last long.

i agree I myself would not set up shop there in the 1000 foot zone,i guess would it be an issue if it was 1005 feet?And I was more disturbed by the trooper automatically associating the collective to selling to kids after school and he just don't like the mmj law.If it was a liquor store would it be an issue?Would the kids go get alcohol from the liquor store and get drunk?The Article didn't say how much into the 1000 feet they are either .Anyway just thought i would post the article.and if i was the owner of the collective, i guess i would relocate if it would meant being left alone by leo..but will they leave them alone if they did move?

This was a hatchet job anyway. First off to even see the school from the dispensary they had to shoot between a couple of houses. It is not on the same street as the school. Right next door is a Walgreens which should come under the same scrutiny if we are being honest. Realize how far a 1000 feet is. It is nearly 3 football fields. In my town there is a liquor store across the street from the junior high school. You can see it from the library and a couple of classrooms. I don't see how having a dispensary is sending a bad message to children. If you ask me it is sending a good message that this is for medicinal purposes only and you can't even enter this building.

I think the dispensary made a mistake renting so close to the school and I think using the word marijuana in the name is a mistake if you want to keep a low profile. Then again if you are trying to condition the general public to the word maybe it was the right thing to do?

As for the dispensary it's self from the video I saw on TV it was very nice inside. Kind of had that spa look to it. It was much nicer and more professional looking that the dispensaries I have been in.

Archived