High Blood Pressure And Cognitive Decline

Here is a recent study of this topic:

"“Our findings contribute to the mounting evidence for the role of cardiovascular risk factors, such as high cholesterol and blood pressure, contributing to cognitive problems, starting in middle age,” said study author Sara Kaffashian, MSc, with INSERM, the French National Institute of Health & Medical Research in Paris. “The study further demonstrates how these heart disease risk factors can contribute to cognitive decline over a 10-year period.”

http://ihealthbulletin.com/blog/2011/02/27/high-cholesterol-hypertension-middle-age-early-cognitive-decline/

Here is a more readable general report from Psychology Today:

"The next time a nurse inflates a blood pressure cuff around your bicep, pay attention. Those numbers are not just important for your heart, but for your brain as well.

It's becoming increasingly clear that high blood pressure, or hypertension, is at the root of much cognitive decline previously attributed to aging. The more scientists scrutinize brain function, and especially memory, the more they conclude that we have the ability to keep our memory and spirit strong well into old age. But it depends on how well we nourish our brain throughout life.....".

http://www.psychologytoday.com/articles/200307/hypertension-brings-cognitive-decline

MY QUESTION: In general, we know that MMJ serves to produce reductions in blood pressure....so is anyone feeling a little smarter or sharper these days after toking or digesting your medibles ? Please let us know !!!

Here is one MMJ user's comment:

"I have prehypertension in the day time, I'm not over wait. But at night i will consume a little INDICA strain only and my blood

pressure will immediately go down to a very healthy set of numbers.

This is proven every time i go for a night time rehi. i have a blood pressure machine at home and it shows me the differences very clear.. I recently went to the doctor for a physical,, i went after smoking indica strain and sure enough healthy numbers on his equipment.

I can only imagine sativa strain bud will do the opposite,, maybe jack up your pressure. The kush at first will get my heart beat

up but will come down fast if i relax deep.. the blood pressure numbers are low even when my pulse is up from the kush.

Amazing break through!! Marijuana lowers blood pressure without a person having to take those horrible drugs!

drug companies know this, so marijuana is kept demonized politically for the benefit of drug companies who lobby

congress to have strict laws."

http://www.marijuana.com/surveys-polls-questions/28627-does-smoking-pot-increase-decrease-blood-pressure.html

Dr. Jinx

As long as MM is a Schedule 1 drug, noone is going to even think about trying to do the research !

dr. Jinx

Not so Dr J, I'm hard at work right now on it ! I think I have had cognitive improvements myself, maybe I'm actually battling alzhiemers ? Since I started having this medicine regularly since Aug, 2009 I'd swear my Long term memory is improving. I'll keep you posted ! .................................peace

Archived