Relief In A Bottle

Relief in a bottle

http://www.vancouversun.com/story_print.html?id=4821774&sponsor= Lalanya Blue McGraw believes cannabis is slowing her cancer while easing her pain. She's not alone. In B.C., thousands have turned to the drug for relief, despite murky scientific evidence BY PAMELA FAYERMAN, VANCOUVER SUNMAY 21, 2011 1:09 AM

Jenelle Schneider Lalanya Blue McGraw takes a daily dose of medical marijuana, prescribed by her doctor, to help ease the symptoms of lymphoma.Photograph by: Jenelle Schneider, PNG, Vancouver SunLiving with incurable cancer, after a third relapse of Hodgkin's lymphoma, 39-year-old Lalanya Blue McGraw credits the daily use of medical marijuana for allowing her to make the most of what may be borrowed time.

"I've been considered terminal for a long time. The cancer is still there, even after all the chemo and two bone marrow transplants. When it gets worse, I can go into a clinical trial with a chemo drug that has not yet been approved in Canada. But until then, I have defied the odds," says the Vancouver resident, a former jazz singer whose voice has been affected by the disease.

"I think, I believe, it's the cannabis that is slowing the cancer down. That's my perspective anyway. It's the only thing I'm on."

When McGraw first asked an oncologist at the BC Cancer Agency in 2002 to prescribe marijuana to treat some of the effects of her cancer, he was reluctant. He didn't object to her using it, but balked at dealing with the Health Canada paperwork required when prescribing any one of four products that can be obtained through the federal Medical Marijuana Access Regulations, she says.

In 2001, Health Canada delegated the responsibility for prescribing marijuana to doctors, who must fill out one of two forms attesting to the fact their patients fit certain criteria. The first form asks doctors to confirm their patient has a cancer or degenerative neuromuscular condition that might benefit from marijuana. If doctors don't feel they can attest to that, they must fill out an alternate, longer form that can take 20 minutes to complete.

Michael A. KomornAttorney and CounselorLaw Office of Michael A. Komorn3000 Town Center, Suite, 1800Southfield, MI 48075800-656-3557 (Toll Free)248-351-2200 (Office)248-357-2550 (Phone)248-351-2211 (Fax)Email: michael@komornlaw.com Website: www.komornlaw.comCheck out our Radio show:http://www.blogtalkradio.com/planetgreentreesNEW CALL IN NUMBER: (347) 326-9626Live Every Wednesday 8-10:00p.m.PLANET GREENTREES w/ Attorney Michael Komorn The most relevant radio talk show for the Michigan Medical Marijuana Community. PERIOD. If you have a medical marihuana question or comment, please email them to me, or leave them on the forum for the MMMA, and I will try to answer them live on the air. http://www.blogtalkradio.com/planetgreentreesPLANET GREENTREES Call-in Number: (347) 326-9626Call-in Number: (347) 326-9626 Attorney Michael Komorn’ practice specializes in Medical Marihuana representation. He is a board member with the Michigan Medical Marijuana Association (MMMA), a nonprofit patient advocacy group with over 20,000 members, which advocates for medical marihuana patients, and caregiver rights. He is also an experienced defense attorney successfully representing many wrongfully accused medical marihuana patients and caregivers. He is also the founder of Greentrees of Detroit, a medical marihuana community center that offers patient certification, legal consultation, cannabis education, business development, and caregiver’s classes.

Archived