T4Gb 4 Strain Grow

Ten4GoodBuddys

So I have not done a journal before but I like the idea of tracking my grow in this way so let me give it a shot here.

EQUIPMENT:

1x 40w T12 Fluorescent

2x 40w CFL

1x 600w Lumatek Digital Dimmable Ballast

1x 1000w Switchable Magnetic Ballast

MEDIUMS:

ProMix

Grodan Rockwool Cubes

DIY 2x 6" Netpot DWC Bubble Tub machine (16 gal, 22 gal, 34 gal)

NUTES etc: (I'll give more information on this next time I go into the room and look at the bottles and such)

Ionic Grow

FoxFarms Grow

FoxFarms Big Bloom

FoxFarms Bloom somethingoranother

Green Wizard Bloom*

*I will give more information on this but I am very excited to utilize this after speaking with its creator. He did give me a full bloom line which includes 5 different bottles and instructions. I am not a shill for this line but what a gracious gift to a patient.

STRAINS:

Tangerine Dream

DWC home made bubble tub

Type: Sativa x Indica

Genetics: G13 x Neville's A5 Haze

Yield: 500gr/m2Height: medium

Flowering Time: 70 days

Harvest time: end of October

THC: 25% CBD: 1.8%

Northern Lights #5

DWC home made bubble tub

Type: Indica or mostly Indica

Genetics: Unclear or unknown

Yield: unclear or unknown

Flowering Time: 50 - 55 Days

Jack Herer

In Promix

Type: Hybrid Mostly Sativa

Genetics: 50% Haze, 37.5% NL#5 and 12.5% Skunk #1

Yield:

Flowering Time: 50-70 Days (nice short window :P)

CannaColada (Clone from past crop, Clone taken a few weeks into flowering and reverting back to veg created some mutated growth, one leaf leaves, and a stretch once through that weird growth)

Promix

Type: Hybrid

Genetics: Dr. Greenthumbs C-99 Pineapple x Soma's SoMango male (I think this is S1)

Yield:

Flowering Time: 55-60 Days

My plan is to veg for 28 days, take clones, flower and add a small SOG to the larger plants in flower once the clones take. Overall there will be a lot going on on a regular basis and some different methods going simultaneously. I am going to have a blast and I hope you join me along the way. I am currently 12 days into veg as I start this thread and will follow with some posts that are date specific with pics.

Again I am writing this in an effort to track my own thoughts, actions and progress through a grow cycle and I am not really an expert, but my homework is done. I have enough growing experience to be dangerous and I will do my best to answer questions and take criticism with an open mind.

Thanks - T4GB

DAY 7:

I built the Bubble Machine using an old aquarium pump and a Rubbermaid Roughneck Tub. I have always wanted to try this method and it seems the easiest cheapest hydro method. Soil is more my "style" but I do want to try this hydro stuff so lets roll :)

Day 7 TD:

gallery_20032_841_228675.jpg

Day 7 NL5:

gallery_20032_841_221647.jpg

Also one of the first problems, leveling the plants height using one light and 2 mediums.

gallery_20032_841_308312.jpg

And one of the first solutions:

gallery_20032_841_310172.jpg

Getting to this point I really wanted to utilize the smaller space pictured first, but unsure how to get it level. Also i realized my 22 gallon res was HUGE for my small clones with no roots yet.

OK I spent more money that I anticipated but I solved a whole series of problems with one move.

I created a new bubbletub in a smaller rubbermaid storage bin. I prefer the rubbermaid roughneck brand for these because the lids fit and the tub basically keeps its shape.

The new tub is a 16 gallon, I purchased a portable table and together they put the bubbling plants tops close enough to the soil plants tops to be happy with. Also by LSTing the Soil plants a little I can bring the tops to about the same heights while preparing the soil plants to clone by encouraging more growth by the under branches by LSTing.

gallery_20032_841_10638.jpg

This is going to be a luscious plant. I would be interested in determining the phenotype of this TD plant. Please chime in.

gallery_20032_841_38349.jpg

NL5 Has really started to take off, dropping multiple roots into the water in under 24 hours. BOOM this is going to be cool. Also noting that the NL5 is growing taller with longer internode lengths than the other 2.

gallery_20032_841_279277.jpg

Weird science mutated leaf on the cannacolada

gallery_20032_841_240623.jpg

Actually the whole cannocolada plant is returning the normal after this horridly ugly bout of revegetation. All the leaves were single blades, then this weird mutated thing and actually after the single blade fan leaves came a round of leaves that had MASSIVE center blades compared to the outer blades. It also had a 3 way split of the main stalk, it really looked screwed up but the new growth seems to be normal and I think it should recover fine. Also I am assuming the amount of root growth occurring is going to do this plant a ton of good later when it recovers. I cannot remember the exact plant but this thing might be 6 weeks old maybe 8 depending on when it was taken.

Day 12

2pm. Checked on Garden before leaving for coffee

3:30pm. Went to do some work and the light was off. The bulb was cold so I am assuming it had been off for 20 minutes or longer. Confused. Checked timers: Light should be off at 3am to 9am. Odd Timing but it does not seem that I have set the timer backwards and when switching over to ON setting the light did not ignite.

This is the 3rd run on this lumatek 600 dimmable digital ballast and plantmax 600w MH conversion bulb. Ballast fuses were in tact. Switching to ON did not ignite the bulb which I think it should have. Unplugged light, Switched Timer to Timer and back to ON. Plugged ballast back in and bulb ignited. Not a good problem to have here.

A few questions I have on how to deal with this.

1.) A power outage would have caused this. Everything else would come back on but since the bulb would not have cooled long enough to reignite it would have remained off. I am going to get a standard plug in alarm clock and run it with the same outlet as the light. If the power cuts out the time will cut to blinking 12:00 and will begin to keep time the clock is back on. It should tell me how long the light has been off if this occurs again.

2.) I really cannot imagine another scenario that would cause this but would like to hear from other experience with these situations and what solutions would be wise.

Day 12

Cloning and keeping on schedule.

I had wanted to take clones as early as possible and originally planned on 10 days. At day 10 I just felt it was really really early in the development of the plant to start hacking away at it. My urgency is driven by timing and financial limitations and I am concentrated on balancing these with good gardening decisions.

I still have a feeling I jumped the gun here and should have possibly waited a few more days before doing this. Specifically with the Tangerine Dream which is perfect just small still.

I took 4 cuts from both Jack and NL 5 and made 5 clones out of each. With TD I chose to take only 3 that would make 3 clones. They are small and yah, well we will see now wont we.

TD Cuts:

gallery_20032_841_290968.jpg

Here is a before and after of Jack Herer. You can check my Gallery for more pics from today but here are a few;

Jack before.

gallery_20032_841_216854.jpg

Jacks cuttings:

gallery_20032_841_348419.jpg

Jack after:

gallery_20032_841_293833.jpg

NL5 Roots:

gallery_20032_841_145711.jpg

Garden after cuttings:

gallery_20032_841_109304.jpg

Why do you have all that string all over the place, on small plants ? Curious, never did it like that, never saw another pic like that.

I use ProMix-HP soil, I know you are hydro. Only thing I could guess is they tip over easier in hydro ? Only used soil, so I really am puzzled.

I tie a string maybe one foot up, two feet up, three feet up. Basically helping the plant when it becomes top heavy.

With shorter indica plants, as long as they had good air movement, I don't really need to tie them off. Maybe towards the end, if the buds are heavy, and then I just tie up the tops.

Peace.

Why do you have all that string all over the place, on small plants ? Curious, never did it like that, never saw another pic like that.

I use ProMix-HP soil, I know you are hydro. Only thing I could guess is they tip over easier in hydro ? Only used soil, so I really am puzzled.

I tie a string maybe one foot up, two feet up, three feet up. Basically helping the plant when it becomes top heavy.

With shorter indica plants, as long as they had good air movement, I don't really need to tie them off. Maybe towards the end, if the buds are heavy, and then I just tie up the tops.

Peace.

Thanks for the query. that plant is actually in a 1 gallon pot of Promix so if you like it you can try it too :)

It is LST. I am actually tying them down to keep the height the same across the 4 different strains. That plant is like 2 months older and 2-3x the height.

Here is a diagram from somewhere on the internet that gives the basic idea of whats going on with that one.

101965d1164129644-how-lst-less-stress-training-2mm7f9u.jpg

Thanks for the query. that plant is actually in a 1 gallon pot of Promix so if you like it you can try it too :)

It is LST. I am actually tying them down to keep the height the same across the 4 different strains. That plant is like 2 months older and 2-3x the height.

Here is a diagram from somewhere on the internet that gives the basic idea of whats going on with that one.

101965d1164129644-how-lst-less-stress-training-2mm7f9u.jpg

Cool

Well, a few things to report over the past week or so.

There are some pictures here: http://michiganmedicalmarijuana.org/gallery/album/20032/841-4-strain-grow/

Essentially after my last post the girls looked really stressed. My best advice to myself alot of times is STOP SCREWING WITH IT AND LET NATURE HAPPEN.

SOIL:I had LSTed both soil plants and then just kept the soil moist and tried to keep my grubby mits off these pretty girls :) Yesterday (day 20) I cut all the strings on both plants I am nearly done taking all the clones I want to off these so I am going to try to get them good n hearty over the next week or so before flowering.

My main concern with these two, namely the CannaColada is that the trunk of the plant may be trained crooked making it harder to feed the top of the plant during in the later stages of growth. I have a feeling that the best thing I can do with this is to supercrop this down the road. I welcome comments on this.

DWC:

I made a mistake with these I think. Well I did the right thing in the wrong medium. In soil I usually allow abnormal growth to kind of play out a few days and make sure my PH, Temp and other environmental factors are correct. If the abnormal growth continues I will begin to troubleshoot.

On this picture you can see the leaf curling:

gallery_20032_841_111619.jpg

BUT I don't know if I get that luxury in DWC. Having allowed it to play out a little I noticed a few more leaves similar, but an equal amount normal. The roots had changed a little darker, like not pearly white, more a subtle tanned white color.

On Day 18 I changed the res and used rainwater. Within 12 hours the roots were showing definite root rot. Now Im scrambling to troubleshoot and reading nightmares online. I will not panic and will tend to this daily until I rid of it or cut the plants. I am using a drug store 3% H2O2 at 1tsp/gal. I have been mixing it in very well by scooping and dumping a pint glass 4-5 times into the res. I have been putting the girls back in quickly rather than waiting as recommended. If I were using 10% or 30% H2O2 I don't know if I would be so bold.

This worked well and nearly immediately. The roots that were in the res were pearly white with maybe a few darker spots here and there. Cool. .... Next day. Brown. Added about a gallon of water with 2tsp of H2O2. Used pint glass to scoop from res and pour water over clay stones in an effort to treat the rootball in the netpot.

Two things about this:

Don't use rainwater that isn't like really really fresh. Also rainwater may be better suited for soil plants than DWC plants.

Treat water with H2O2 before putting plants in.

Also, I think it may be beneficial to me to ask for assistance with the DWC portion of this. I have a friend who I do discuss things with but if anyone around here is good with DWC and wants to coach me a little I would appreciate the support.

Well, a few things to report over the past week or so.

Also, I think it may be beneficial to me to ask for assistance with the DWC portion of this. I have a friend who I do discuss things with but if anyone around here is good with DWC and wants to coach me a little I would appreciate the support.

I wouldn't use "rainwater" without a filtration of some sort, I don't know enough about "acid rain" to really understand it, only enough to be scared of it....I'm certain you double and triple checked your pH? where did the rainwater TDS start?

Glad to hear you are cutting clones to increase your plant counts, I also like what you are doing with LST.

how is that Trainwreck seedling anyway?

Now get your arse back to work!

Archived