E-Mail Response From Lansing

Dear G: (couldn't even give me the respect to spell my four letter first name, or, she thinks I'm gang member)

Thank you for contacting me to share your concerns about Michigan's new medical marijuana law. I appreciate knowing your thoughts about this recent voter initiated act.

Approved by voters in 2008, the Michigan Medical Marihuana Act allows that a qualifying patient who has been issued and possesses a registry identification card from the Department of Community Health (DCH) is not subject to penalty for the medical use of marihuana and extends limited protections to caregivers and physicians, the law does not actually address many pertinent issues surrounding the use and procurement of medical marihuana.

Since this new law has gone into effect, numerous questions and concerns about correctly administrating this law have developed and several pieces of legislation introduced in the attempts to clarify it.

Senate Bill 17 is a bill to ban medical marijuana bars or clubs where payment of a fee is required to be a member;

Senate Bill 321 would exclude medical marijuana from reimbursable expenses provided to individuals receiving benefits under the unlimited personal injury protection (PIP) insurance coverage mandated by Michigan's no-fault auto insurance;

Senate Bill 505 prohibits convicted felons from becoming caregivers.

Senate Bill 504 would prohibit dispensing of medical marijuana within 1,000 feet of a church or school unless within a qualifying patients private residence.

As with any legislation put before me, I am closely studying each one of these proposals. The legislative process is ongoing and numerous changes can occur along the way. It is important to create a level playing field and constancy for all involved without creating obstacles to access of medical marihuana as outlined in the Act the voters in Michigan approved.

Thanks for taking time to contact me. The thoughts and opinions of my constituents are very important to me and I keep them in mind as we discuss issues.

Sincerely,

Judy K. Emmons

State Senator

33rd District

Archived