Thinking About Becoming A Caregiver

purklize

My wife is thinking about becoming a caregiver for a patient or two. The cost of growing is killing us and we need some help, and we'd like to help out others anyway, because I've gotten pretty good at this and it looks like the supply is going to start exceeding what I need for my own issues. What do patients expect from caregivers these days? We're not going to be selling stuff at farmer's markets or dispensaries, too paranoid for all of that, and anxiety gives me horrible migraines and shingles etc. etc. so I pay the price, so yea not doing that. Because of that there's not going to be free ounces or anything like that... the prices would be less than "street prices" for sure, but it is an expensive, risky, and time consuming endeavor and we're very poor so frequent freebies aren't going to be an option. Anyway, just looking for some feedback... I know before patients expected free ounces every month, I dont want us to get into this and find that patients think theyre doing us a favor when we're working hard and risking our livelihoods (thanks schuette etc) to help them. This seemed to be a common attitude before but hopefully I'm wrong on that. We're very kind and generous but again we have very little, can barely afford food etc. so the patients would have to be chipping in significant compensation.

Hi purklize, I feel the same way. I'm a patient & I never expected freebies. I've asked for an "advance" before but there was still compensation. I wouldn't expect a caregiver to get rid of overage at dispensaries / wherever, to cover my free supply & no way would I do that, as a caregiver. I think as long as you make your expectations & terms clear to any prospective patient you'll be all right. Might even want to write it down; some caregivers have an agreement they sign & have their patients sign. Good luck to you !

Archived